Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
The symptoms of toothache include sharp pain or dull pain in or around a tooth. The most common cause of a toothache is a dental cavity as a result of tooth decay. Dental cavities and toothache can be prevented by proper oral hygiene. Another common cause of toothache is gum disease. Toothache can also be a result of an injury or an abscess of the tooth. Toothache symptoms can be caused by a problem that does not originate from a tooth or the jaw. Symptoms of toothache can be mimicked by sinus infection, shingles, and other diseases.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Toothache
In This ArticleCavities Article
- What are cavities?
- What are microcavities?
- How does a cavity form?
- What risk factors contribute to tooth decay?
- What are the signs and symptoms of cavities?
- How are cavities diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for cavities?
- What is CAMBRA?
- Treatment of cavities during pregnancy
- What is the prognosis of a cavity?
In This ArticleDental Injuries Article
- Dental injury facts
- What is a tooth fracture?
- What is a serious tooth fracture?
- What about a chipped tooth?
- What about a fracture of the enamel and dentin?
- What if I get my teeth knocked out?
- What is a displaced tooth?
- Prevention of dental injuries
In This ArticleDry Socket Article
- What is a dry socket?
- What causes a dry socket?
- Who is at risk for getting a dry socket?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a dry socket?
- How is a dry socket diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a dry socket?
- What is the average healing time for a dry socket?
- What is the prognosis for a dry socket?
- Can a dry socket be prevented?
In This ArticleGum Disease Article
- What is gum disease (gingivitis)?
- What is the difference between gingivitis and periodontital disease?
- What causes gum disease?
- What are the signs and symptoms of gum disease?
- How is gum disease diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for gum disease?
- Are home remedies or natural treatments effective for gum disease?
- Can gum disease be reversed?
- Is gum disease associated with other health problems?
- How is gum disease managed in children?
- How is gum disease managed in pregnancy?
- Can gum disease be prevented?
- Is gum disease contagious?
In This ArticleHeart Attack Article
- Heart attack facts
- What is a heart attack?
- What causes a heart attack?
- What are the symptoms of a heart attack?
- What are the complications of a heart attack?
- What are the risk factors for atherosclerosis and heart attack?
- How is a heart attack diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for heart attack?
- What are the risk factors for heart attack in women?
- What are the symptoms of heart attack in women and how is heart attack diagnosed?
- How is heart attack in women treated?
- What about hormone therapy and heart attack in women?
- What is new in heart attack?
In This ArticleTemporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ) Article
- What is temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome?
- What are the risk factors for TMJ syndrome?
- What causes TMJ syndrome?
- What are the signs and symptoms of TMJ syndrome?
- How is TMJ syndrome diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for TMJ syndrome? Are there any home remedies that provide TMJ pain relief?
- What is the prognosis for TMJ syndrome?
- Can TMJ syndrome be prevented?
In This ArticleWisdom Teeth Article
- What are wisdom teeth?
- How do I know if I have wisdom teeth?
- Do all wisdom teeth need to be extracted?
- What if the wisdom teeth hurt and they cannot be extracted right away?
- How is wisdom tooth extraction performed?
- What is the recovery like after wisdom teeth extraction?
- What are the potential risks and complications of wisdom teeth extraction?
- How much does wisdom teeth extraction cost?
Other Causes of Toothache
- Trauma Injury (to Head or Tooth)
Examples of Medications for Toothache
- acetaminophen, Tylenol and Others
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- celecoxib, Celebrex - Discontinued Brand
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- naproxen, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Aleve
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- rofecoxib, Vioxx
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.