Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Toothache
In This ArticleCavities Article
- What are cavities?
- How does a cavity form?
- What risk factors contribute to tooth decay?
- What are the signs and symptoms of cavities?
- What is the treatment for cavities?
- Treatment during pregnancy
In This ArticleDental Injuries Article
- Dental injury facts
- What is a tooth fracture?
- What is a serious tooth fracture?
- What about a chipped tooth?
- What about a fracture of the enamel and dentin?
- What if I get my teeth knocked out?
- What is a displaced tooth?
- Prevention of dental injuries
In This ArticleDry Socket Article
- What is a dry socket?
- What causes a dry socket?
- Who is at risk for getting a dry socket?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a dry socket?
- How is a dry socket diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a dry socket?
- What is the average healing time for a dry socket?
- What is the prognosis for a dry socket?
- Can a dry socket be prevented?
In This ArticleGum Disease Article
- What is gum disease (gingivitis)?
- What is the difference between gingivitis and periodontital disease?
- What causes gum disease?
- What are the signs and symptoms of gum disease?
- How is gum disease diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for gum disease?
- Are home remedies or natural treatments effective for gum disease?
- Can gum disease be reversed?
- Is gum disease associated with other health problems?
- How is gum disease managed in children?
- How is gum disease managed in pregnancy?
- Can gum disease be prevented?
- Is gum disease contagious?
In This ArticleHeart Attack Article
- Heart attack facts
- What is a heart attack?
- What causes a heart attack?
- What are the symptoms of a heart attack?
- What are the complications of a heart attack?
- What are the risk factors for atherosclerosis and heart attack?
- How is a heart attack diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for heart attack?
- What about heart attacks in women?
- What are the risk factors for heart attack in women?
- What are the symptoms of heart attack in women and how is heart attack diagnosed?
- How is heart attack in women treated?
- What about hormone therapy and heart attack in women?
- What is new in heart attack?
In This ArticleTemporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ) Article
- What is temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome?
- What are the risk factors for TMJ syndrome?
- What causes TMJ syndrome?
- What are the signs and symptoms of TMJ syndrome?
- How is TMJ syndrome diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for TMJ syndrome?
- What is the prognosis for TMJ syndrome?
- Can TMJ syndrome be prevented?
In This ArticleWisdom Teeth Article
- What are wisdom teeth?
- How do I know if I have wisdom teeth?
- Do all wisdom teeth need to be extracted?
- How is wisdom teeth extraction performed?
- What is the recovery like after wisdom teeth extraction?
- What are the potential risks and complications of wisdom teeth extraction?
- How much does wisdom teeth extraction cost?
Other Causes of Toothache
- Trauma Injury (to Head or Tooth)
Examples of Medications for Toothache
- acetaminophen, Tylenol and Others
- acetylsalicylic acid, Aspirin, Ecotrin
- celecoxib, Celebrex
- ibuprofen, Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever etc.
- naproxen, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Aleve
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- rofecoxib, Vioxx
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.