"What are anxiety medications and how do they work?
Anxiety is a normal and useful response to potentially stressful or dangerous situations. It increases our awareness of what's going on around us. For most people, anxiety is short liv"...
Topamax Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen
Generic Name: topiramate (Pronunciation: toe PYRE a mate)
- What is topiramate (Topamax)?
- What are the possible side effects of topiramate (Topamax)?
- What is the most important information I should know about topiramate (Topamax)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking topiramate (Topamax)?
- How should I take topiramate (Topamax)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Topamax)?
- What happens if I overdose (Topamax)?
- What should I avoid while taking topiramate (Topamax)?
- What other drugs will affect topiramate (Topamax)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is topiramate (Topamax)?
Topiramate is a seizure medication, also called an anticonvulsant.
Topiramate is used alone or in combination with other medications to treat seizures in adults and children who are at least 2 years old.
Topiramate is also used to prevent migraine headaches in adults. Topiramate will only prevent migraine headaches or reduce the number of attacks. It will not treat a headache that has already begun.
Topiramate may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Topamax 100 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with TOPAMAX, 100
Topamax 200 mg
round, peach, imprinted with TOPAMAX, 200
Topamax 25 mg
round, white, imprinted with TOP, 25
Topiramate 100 mg-APO
round, yellow, imprinted with APO, TP 100
Topiramate 100 mg-TEV
oblong, yellow, imprinted with 93, 7219
Topiramate 15 mg-TEV
capsule, white, imprinted with TEVA, 7335
Topiramate 200 mg-APO
round, pink, imprinted with APO, TP 200
Topiramate 200 mg-TEV
oblong, pink, imprinted with 93, 7220
Topiramate 25 mg-APO
round, white, imprinted with APO, TP 25
Topiramate 25 mg-TEV
oblong, white, imprinted with 93, 155
Topiramate 50 mg-APO
round, white, imprinted with APO, TP 50
Topiramate 50 mg-TEV
oblong, yellow, imprinted with 93, 7540
What are the possible side effects of topiramate (Topamax)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- sudden vision loss, pain around or behind your eyes;
- dry mouth, increased thirst, drowsiness, decreased sweating, increased body temperature, and hot, dry skin,
- confusion, slowed thinking, memory problems, trouble concentrating, problems with speech or balance;
- vomiting, loss of appetite, tired feeling, irregular heartbeats, feeling like you might pass out; or
- severe pain in your side or lower back, painful or difficult urination.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild dizziness, feeling nervous;
- numbness or tingly feeling;
- diarrhea, weight loss; or
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Topamax (topiramate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about topiramate (Topamax)?
Topiramate may cause harm to an unborn baby, but having a seizure during pregnancy could harm both the mother and the baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant while taking topiramate for seizures. Do not start or stop taking topiramate during pregnancy without your doctor's advice.
Seek emergency medical attention if you have a sudden change in vision or pain around or behind the eyes. These may be early signs of a serious and permanent side effect on your vision.
Do not stop using topiramate without first talking to your doctor, even if you feel fine. You may have increased seizures if you stop using topiramate suddenly. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely.
Contact your doctor if your seizures get worse or you have them more often while taking topiramate.
Additional Topamax Information
- Topamax Drug Interactions Center: topiramate oral
- Topamax Side Effects Center
- Topamax Overview including Precautions
- Topamax FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Topamax - User Reviews
Topamax User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find tips and treatments to control seizures.