"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Orbactiv (oritavancin), a new antibacterial drug to treat adults with skin infections.
Orbactiv is approved to treat patients with acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections (ABSS"...
Patients using topical corticosteroids should receive the following information and instructions:
- This medication is to be used as directed by the physician. It is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes.
- Patients should be advised not to use this medication for any disorder other than for which it was prescribed.
- The treated skin area should not be bandaged or otherwise covered or wrapped as to be occlusive unless directed by the physician.
- Patients should report any signs of local adverse reactions, especially under occlusive dressings.
- Other corticosteroid-containing products should not be used with Topicort® (desoximetasone) Ointment USP, 0.05% without first consulting with the physician. As with other corticosteroids, therapy should be discontinued when control is achieved. If no improvement is seen within 4 weeks, contact the physician.
Last reviewed on RxList: 6/14/2010
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Topicort Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.