"What are calcium channel blockers (CCBs) and how do they work?
Calcium channel blockers are drugs that block the entry of calcium into the muscle cells of the heart and arteries.
- The entry of calcium is critical for"...
Toprol XL Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL
Generic Name: metoprolol (Pronunciation: me TOE pro lol)
- What is metoprolol (Toprol XL)?
- What are the possible side effects of metoprolol (Toprol XL)?
- What is the most important information I should know about metoprolol (Toprol XL)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking metoprolol (Toprol XL)?
- How should I take metoprolol (Toprol XL)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Toprol XL)?
- What happens if I overdose (Toprol XL)?
- What should I avoid while taking metoprolol (Toprol XL)?
- What other drugs will affect metoprolol (Toprol XL)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is metoprolol (Toprol XL)?
Metoprolol is in a group of drugs called beta-blockers. Beta-blockers affect the heart and circulation (blood flow through arteries and veins).
Metoprolol is used to treat angina (chest pain) and hypertension (high blood pressure). It is also used to treat or prevent heart attack.
Metoprolol may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Metoprolol 100 mg-CAR
capsule, white, imprinted with 167
Metoprolol 100 mg-GG
round, white, imprinted with GG 415
Metoprolol 100 mg-MUT
oval, yellow, imprinted with MP 185
Metoprolol 100 mg-MYL
round, blue, imprinted with M 47
Metoprolol 100 mg-TEV
round, blue, imprinted with 93 734
Metoprolol 100 mg-WAT
round, blue, imprinted with WATSON 463
Metoprolol 25 mg-MYL
round, white, imprinted with M 18
Metoprolol 50 mg-CAR
oblong, white, imprinted with 166
Metoprolol 50 mg-GG
round, white, imprinted with GG 414
Metoprolol 50 mg-MUT
oval, orange, imprinted with MP 184
Metoprolol 50 mg-MYL
round, pink, imprinted with M 32
Metoprolol 50 mg-TEV
round, pink, imprinted with 93 733
Metoprolol 50 mg-WAT
round, pink, imprinted with WATSON 462
Metoprolol Succinate 25mg Tablet
round, white, imprinted with 293
Toprol XL 100 mg
round, white, imprinted with AMS
Toprol XL 200 mg
elliptical, white, imprinted with A MY
Toprol XL 25 mg
oval, white, imprinted with A B
Toprol XL 50 mg
round, white, imprinted with AMO
What are the possible side effects of metoprolol (Toprol XL)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
- feeling light-headed, fainting;
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
- swelling of your hands or feet;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- wheezing, trouble breathing;
- depression, confusion, memory problems, hallucinations; or
- cold feeling in your hands and feet.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dry mouth, constipation, heartburn, vomiting, diarrhea;
- decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm;
- headache, drowsiness, tired feeling;
- sleep problems (insomnia); or
- anxiety, nervousness.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Toprol XL (metoprolol succinate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about metoprolol (Toprol XL)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to metoprolol, or if you have a serious heart problem such as heart block, sick sinus syndrome, or slow heart rate.
Before taking metoprolol, tell your doctor if you have congestive heart failure, low blood pressure, circulation problems, pheochromocytoma, asthma or other breathing problems, diabetes, depression, liver or kidney disease, a thyroid disorder, or severe allergies.
Metoprolol may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of metoprolol.
Do not stop taking metoprolol without first talking to your doctor. Stopping suddenly may make your condition worse.
If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are using metoprolol.
Metoprolol is only part of a complete program of treatment for hypertension that may also include diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely if you are being treated for hypertension.
If you are being treated for high blood pressure, keep using this medication even if you feel well. High blood pressure often has no symptoms. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
Additional Toprol XL Information
Toprol XL - User Reviews
Toprol XL User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on handling your hypertension.