font size

Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) (cont.)

Medical Author:
Medical Editor:

What causes toxic shock syndrome?

The cause of toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is one of several closely related exotoxins secreted by bacteria that are infecting the person. The toxins activate T cells of the immune system to produce chemicals known as cytokines that subsequently cause shock and tissue damage. Although there are several closely related exotoxins, about 80% of individuals with TSS have an illness caused by TSST-1 or a similar exotoxin. Other exotoxins such as those produced by enterococci A, C, D, E, and H cause most of the remaining 20% of infections.

M protein, a filamentous protein on the cell membrane of group A Streptococcus bacteria enhances the likelihood of the bacterial strain being more likely to cause disease. Bacterial strains that lack M protein are less lethal because M protein can protect bacteria from host immune defenses. In addition, M protein apparently enhances cell damage and inflammation caused by exotoxins.

What are risk factors for toxic shock syndrome?

Risk factors for TSS include a history of using superabsorbent tampons, surgical wounds, history of using a diaphragm or contraceptive sponge, having a localized infection deep in the skin, abortion, burns, and immunosuppression (for example, as seen with diabetes and chronic lung or heart disease or in elderly patients).

Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/31/2014

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Toxic Shock Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with toxic shock syndrome.
Toxic Shock Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your toxic shock syndrome?
Source: MedicineNet.com
http://www.medicinenet.com/toxic_shock_syndrome_tss/article.htm

Women's Health

Find out what women really need.

advertisement
advertisement
Use Pill Finder Find it Now See Interactions

Pill Identifier on RxList

  • quick, easy,
    pill identification

Find a Local Pharmacy

  • including 24 hour, pharmacies

Interaction Checker

  • Check potential drug interactions
Search the Medical Dictionary for Health Definitions & Medical Abbreviations

NIH talks about Ebola on WebMD