"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today expanded the approved use of Zytiga (abiraterone acetate) to treat men with late-stage (metastatic) castration-resistant prostate cancer prior to receiving chemotherapy.
The FDA initially appr"...
Trelstar LA Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
- What are the possible side effects of triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
- What is the most important information I should know about triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
- How should I use triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Trelstar LA)?
- What happens if I overdose (Trelstar LA)?
- What should I avoid while using triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
- What other drugs will affect triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to triptorelin or similar drugs such as leuprolide (Lupron, Viadur, Eligard) or goserelin (Zoladex).
If you have any of these other conditions, you may need a triptorelin dose adjustment or special tests:
- any type of cancer that has spread to your spine;
- a bladder obstruction or problems with urination;
- diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, recent weight gain, high cholesterol (especially in men);
- heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol;
- a history of heart attack or stroke; or
- if you smoke.
FDA pregnancy category X. Although triptorelin is not for use by women, this medication can harm an unborn baby or cause birth defects. Triptorelin should not be used by a woman who is pregnant or who may become pregnant.
It is not known whether triptorelin passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Although triptorelin is not for use by women, this medication should not be used while breast-feeding a baby.
How should I use triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
Triptorelin is injected into a muscle. You may be shown how to use injections at home. Do not self-inject this medicine if you do not fully understand how to give the injection and properly dispose of used needles and syringes.
This medication comes with patient instructions for safe and effective use. Follow these directions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
This medication comes with a vial (bottle) of powder medicine and a prefilled syringe of sterile water. The powder must be mixed with the sterile water before using the medicine. If you are using the injections at home, be sure you understand how to properly mix and store the medication. Prepare your dose in a syringe only when you are ready to give yourself an injection. Do not save the mixture for later use. Do not use the medication if it has changed colors or has particles in it. Call your doctor for a new prescription.
Triptorelin is usually given once every 4, 12, or 24 weeks. Your dose schedule will depend on the strength of triptorelin you are using. Follow your doctor's dosing instructions very carefully.
After your injection, your prostate cancer symptoms may get worse for a short time because triptorelin raises your testosterone levels. These side effects should get better within 3 or 4 weeks. Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve, or if they get worse while using triptorelin.
To be sure this medication is helping your condition, your blood may need to be tested often. Visit your doctor regularly.
Each single use vial (bottle) of this medicine is for one use only. Throw away after one use, even if there is still some medicine left in it after injecting your dose.
Store vials and prefilled syringes at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light. Do not freeze.
Additional Trelstar LA Information
- Trelstar LA Drug Interactions Center: triptorelin pamoate im
- Trelstar LA Side Effects Center
- Trelstar LA Overview including Precautions
- Trelstar LA FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Trelstar LA - User Reviews
Trelstar LA User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.