"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today expanded the approved use of Zytiga (abiraterone acetate) to treat men with late-stage (metastatic) castration-resistant prostate cancer prior to receiving chemotherapy.
The FDA initially appr"...
Trelstar LA Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Trelstar Depot, Trelstar Depot Mixject, Trelstar LA, Trelstar LA Mixject
Generic Name: triptorelin (Pronunciation: TRIP toe REL in)
- What is triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
- What are the possible side effects of triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
- What is the most important information I should know about triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
- How should I use triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Trelstar LA)?
- What happens if I overdose (Trelstar LA)?
- What should I avoid while using triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
- What other drugs will affect triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
Triptorelin is a man-made form of a hormone that regulates many processes in the body. Triptorelin overstimulates the body's own production of certain hormones, which causes that production to shut down temporarily.
Triptorelin is used to treat the symptoms of prostate cancer. Triptorelin treats only the symptoms of prostate cancer and does not treat the cancer itself. Use any other medications your doctor has prescribed to best treat your condition.
Triptorelin may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect. Some of these side effects are symptoms of prostate cancer that may occur because the medicine raises your testosterone levels:
- painful or difficult urination, burning when you urinate, blood in the urine;
- bone pain;
- numbness, tingling, or muscle weakness (especially in your legs and feet);
- loss of movement in any part of your body;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- sudden numbness or weakness, sudden severe headache, confusion, problems with vision or speech; or
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- hot flashes;
- back pain, pain or swelling in your legs;
- headache, dizziness, tired feeling;
- decreased interest in sex, impotence, trouble having an orgasm;
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, upset stomach;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- breast pain or swelling; or
- pain where the medicine was injected.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Trelstar LA (triptorelin pamoate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about triptorelin (Trelstar LA)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to triptorelin or similar drugs such as leuprolide (Lupron, Viadur, Eligard) or goserelin (Zoladex).
Before using triptorelin, tell your doctor if you have any type of cancer that has spread to your spine, a bladder obstruction or problems with urination, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, a history of stroke or heart attack, or if you smoke.
After your injection, your prostate cancer symptoms may get worse for a short time because triptorelin raises your testosterone levels. These side effects should get better within 3 or 4 weeks. Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve, or if they get worse while using triptorelin.
Additional Trelstar LA Information
- Trelstar LA Drug Interactions Center: triptorelin pamoate im
- Trelstar LA Side Effects Center
- Trelstar LA Overview including Precautions
- Trelstar LA FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Trelstar LA - User Reviews
Trelstar LA User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.