Trental Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Pentoxil, Trental
Generic Name: pentoxifylline (Pronunciation: pen tox I fi leen)
- What is pentoxifylline (Trental)?
- What are the possible side effects of pentoxifylline (Trental)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pentoxifylline (Trental)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking pentoxifylline (Trental)?
- How should I take pentoxifylline (Trental)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Trental)?
- What happens if I overdose (Trental)?
- What should I avoid while taking pentoxifylline (Trental)?
- What other drugs will affect pentoxifylline (Trental)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is pentoxifylline (Trental)?
Pentoxifylline changes the shape of red blood cells in your blood. This makes it easier for these blood cells to fit into small arteries (blood vessels).
Pentoxifylline is used to improve blood flow. Improved blood flow helps to reduce leg cramps and other symptoms of vascular disease (disease related to veins and arteries).
Pentoxifylline may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
Pentoxifylline 400 mg-APO
oval, white, imprinted with APO 033
Pentoxifylline 400 mg-ESI
oblong, white, imprinted with P77, 511
Pentoxifylline 400 mg-MYL
oblong, lavender, imprinted with MYLAN, 357
Pentoxifylline 400 mg-TEV
oblong, white, imprinted with BVF, 0117
Trental 400 mg
oblong, pink, imprinted with HOECHST, TRENTAL
What are the possible side effects of pentoxifylline (Trental)?
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking pentoxifylline and seek medical attention:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
- chest pain or an irregular heartbeat;
- severe dizziness, headache, nosebleeds, or blurred vision;
- nausea or vomiting; or
- swollen feet or ankles.
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take pentoxifylline and talk to your doctor if you experience
- red eyes, or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Trental (pentoxifylline) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about pentoxifylline (Trental)?
Do not break, crush, or chew the tablets. Swallow them whole. They are specially coated to protect your stomach.
Do not stop taking this medication suddenly. It may take up to 8 weeks for you to see beneficial effects from pentoxifylline.
Tobacco may worsen your condition or decrease the beneficial effects of pentoxifylline by narrowing your blood vessels. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have a tobacco habit.
Additional Trental Information
- Trental Drug Interactions Center: pentoxifylline oral
- Trental Side Effects Center
- Trental Overview including Precautions
- Trental FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Trental - User Reviews
Trental User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.