Trichomoniasis Vaginal Infection
- Trichomoniasis facts*
- What is trichomoniasis and how do you get it?
- What are the symptoms of trichomoniasis?
- Is there a test for trichomoniasis?
- How is trichomoniasis treated?
- What happens if I don't get treated?
- Should I tell my partner if I have trichomoniasis?
- Does trichomoniasis cause problems during pregnancy?
- How is trichomoniasis prevented?
- Patient Comments: Trichomoniasis - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Trichomoniasis (Vaginal Infection) - Transmission
- Patient Comments: Trichomoniasis (Vaginal Infection) - Causes
- Patient Comments: Trichomoniasis (Vaginal Infection) - Diagnosis
- Patient Comments: Trichomoniasis (Vaginal Infection) - Telling Your Partner
*Trichomoniasis facts Medically Edited by: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
- Trichomoniasis is a sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by a parasite.
- Trichomonas infection can affect women or men.
- Many people who have the infection have no symptoms, but when symptoms occur, they include vaginal or urethral (in men) discharge that may appear greenish and frothy, burning on urination, discomfort during sex, and itching in the genital area.
- Diagnosis is based upon identifying the parasite through miscroscopic exam in the vaginal or urethral discharge.
- Trichomonas infection can be treated with antibiotics.
- Left untreated, the infection can persist over the long term. It may also recur following treatment.
- Trichomonas infection during pregnancy can lead to premature birth and low birth weight.
What Is Trichomoniasis and How Do You Get It?
Trichomoniasis (TRIK-uh-muh-NEYE-uh-suhss) is a sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by a parasite. It is sometimes called "trich." Trichomoniasis is the most common curable STI found in young, sexually active women.
The parasite is spread through sexual contact. Women can get it by having penis-to-vagina intercourse with an infected man or vulva-to-vulva contact with an infected woman. Men usually get it only from infected women.
Viewers share their comments
- Submit »
Find out what women really need.