WebMD Health News
Nov. 1, 2013 -- The cholesterol-lowering drug Crestor (rosuvastatin) was the nation's most prescribed drug in the past 12 months, according to a new report from research firm IMS Health. New "...
Trilipix Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Fibricor, Trilipix
Generic Name: fenofibric acid (Pronunciation: FEN oh FYE brik AS id)
- What is fenofibric acid (Trilipix)?
- What are the possible side effects of fenofibric acid (Trilipix)?
- What is the most important information I should know about fenofibric acid (Trilipix)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking fenofibric acid (Trilipix)?
- How should I take fenofibric acid (Trilipix)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Trilipix)?
- What happens if I overdose (Trilipix)?
- What should I avoid while taking fenofibric acid (Trilipix)?
- What other drugs will affect fenofibric acid (Trilipix)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is fenofibric acid (Trilipix)?
Fenofibric acid helps reduce cholesterol and triglycerides (fatty acids) in the blood. High levels of these types of fat in the blood are associated with an increased risk of atherosclerosis (clogged arteries).
Fenofibric acid is used to treat high cholesterol and high triglyceride levels. It is sometimes given together with other cholesterol-lowering medications.
Fenofibric acid may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of fenofibric acid (Trilipix)?
In rare cases, fenofibric acid can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Stop taking fenofibric acid and call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using fenofibric acid and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- sharp stomach pain spreading to your back or shoulder blade;
- stomach pain just after eating a meal;
- nausea, vomiting, fever, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- pain, swelling, warmth, or redness in one or both legs;
- chest pain, sudden cough, wheezing, rapid breathing, fast heart rate.
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness;
- back pain;
- joint pain;
- diarrhea, upset stomach; or
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Trilipix (fenofibric acid capsules) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about fenofibric acid (Trilipix)?
You should not take fenofibric acid if you are allergic to it, or if you have liver disease, gallbladder disease, severe kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis), or if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Before you take fenofibric acid, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, diabetes, or underactive thyroid.
Fenofibric acid is only part of a complete program of treatment that may also include diet, exercise, weight control, and other medications. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can raise triglyceride levels and may increase your risk of liver damage.
Avoid eating foods that are high in fat or cholesterol. Fenofibric acid will not be as effective in lowering your cholesterol if you do not follow a cholesterol-lowering diet plan.
In rare cases, fenofibric acid can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine.
Additional Trilipix Information
Trilipix - User Reviews
Trilipix User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Tips to keep it under control.