"There is a risk for dosing errors with the dual antibacterial ceftolozane/tazobactam (Zerbaxa, Cubist Pharmaceuticals) due to confusion about the drug strength displayed on the vial and carton labeling, the US Food and Drug Administration "...
Tygacil Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Tygacil
Generic Name: tigecycline (Pronunciation: tye ge SYE kleen)
- What is tigecycline (Tygacil)?
- What are the possible side effects of tigecycline (Tygacil)?
- What is the most important information I should know about tigecycline (Tygacil)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using tigecycline (Tygacil)?
- How should I use tigecycline (Tygacil)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Tygacil)?
- What happens if I overdose (Tygacil)?
- What should I avoid while using tigecycline (Tygacil)?
- What other drugs will affect tigecycline (Tygacil)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is tigecycline (Tygacil)?
Tigecycline is an antibiotic that fights bacteria in the body.
Tigecycline is used to treat many different bacterial infections of the skin or the digestive system, as well as pneumonia.
Tigecycline may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of tigecycline (Tygacil)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using tigecycline and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- severe headache, ringing in your ears, dizziness, nausea, vision problems, pain behind your eyes;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, sleep problems (insomnia);
- headache; or
- vaginal itching or discharge.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Tygacil (tigecycline) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about tigecycline (Tygacil)?
Do not use this medicine if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby or cause permanent tooth discoloration later in life.
Tigecycline can make birth control pills less effective. Ask your doctor about using a non hormone method of birth control (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while using tigecycline.
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to tigecycline.
Children should not use tigecycline. Tigecycline can cause permanent yellowing or graying of the teeth in children younger than 8 years old.
Before using tigecycline, tell your doctor if you are allergic to a tetracycline antibiotic such as demeclocycline (Declomycin), doxycycline (Adoxa, Doryx, Oracea, Vibramycin), minocycline (Dynacin, Minocin, Solodyn, Vectrin), or tetracycline (Brodspec, Panmycin, Sumycin, Tetracap). Also tell your doctor if you have liver disease or if you are using a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven).
You may be shown how to use an IV at home. Do not self-inject this medicine if you do not fully understand how to give the injection, and how to properly mix and store the medication.
Use this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Skipping doses may also increase your risk of further infection that is resistant to antibiotics.
Avoid exposure to sunlight or tanning beds. Tigecycline can make you sunburn more easily. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) when you are outdoors.
Additional Tygacil Information
- Tygacil Drug Interactions Center: tigecycline iv
- Tygacil Side Effects Center
- Tygacil Overview including Precautions
- Tygacil FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Tygacil - User Reviews
Tygacil User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.