"Dec. 18, 2012 -- People who can't get their high blood pressure down with drugs may be helped by a new procedure that deactivates overactive nerves in the kidneys, a small study shows.
The procedure is already available in Europe and "...
Tyvaso Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Tyvaso, Tyvaso Refill Kit, Tyvaso Starter Kit
Generic Name: treprostinil inhalation (Pronunciation: tre PROS ti nil)
- What is treprostinil inhalation (Tyvaso)?
- What are the possible side effects of treprostinil inhalation (Tyvaso)?
- What is the most important information I should know about treprostinil inhalation (Tyvaso)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using treprostinil inhalation (Tyvaso)?
- How is treprostinil inhalation given (Tyvaso)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Tyvaso)?
- What happens if I overdose (Tyvaso)?
- What should I avoid while using treprostinil inhalation (Tyvaso)?
- What other drugs will affect treprostinil inhalation (Tyvaso)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is treprostinil inhalation (Tyvaso)?
Treprostinil works by dilating (widening) blood vessels in your lungs and by keeps the platelets in your blood from coagulating (clotting) to prevent unwanted blood clots. These effects lower blood pressure in the pulmonary artery that leads from your heart to your lungs.
Treprostinil is used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). It improves your ability to exercise and prevents your condition from getting worse.
Treprostinil may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of treprostinil inhalation (Tyvaso)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- new or worsening PAH symptoms such as feeling short of breath (even with mild exertion), tiredness, chest pain, and pale skin;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- fever, chills, cough with yellow or green mucus, stabbing chest pain, wheezing;
- unusual bleeding such as nosebleeds, bleeding gums, or any bleeding that will not stop;
- pale skin, weakness, easy bruising;
- unexpected vaginal bleeding;
- blood in your urine or stools, black or tarry stools;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds; or
- swelling of your ankles or feet.
Less serious side effects may include:
- cough, sore throat;
- pain or irritation in your throat after use;
- nausea, diarrhea;
- headache or jaw pain; or
- flushing (warmth, redness or tingling).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Tyvaso (treprostinil inhalation solution) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about treprostinil inhalation (Tyvaso)?
Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you have a breathing disorder such as asthma or COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), an infection in your lungs (including pneumonia), low blood pressure, liver or kidney disease, or a bleeding or blood clotting disorder.
Treprostinil inhalation should be used only with a Tyvaso inhalation system. The inhalation system comes with patient instructions for safe and effective use. Do not use the medication at home if you do not fully understand how to use the inhalation system and properly clean it daily. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
The effects of treprostinil inhalation will lessen over time between doses. Talk with your doctor if you need to time your dosing around any planned activities.
It is important to use treprostinil regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely. Make sure you have a backup inhalation system available so as not to interrupt your treatment if one system stops working.
Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Additional Tyvaso Information
- Tyvaso Drug Interactions Center: treprostinil inhl
- Tyvaso Side Effects Center
- Tyvaso Overview including Precautions
- Tyvaso FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Tyvaso - User Reviews
Tyvaso User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get tips on handling your hypertension.