Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Symptoms of ulcerative colitis vary among affected individuals. Typical symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding. Depending upon the degree of inflammation and the location of the inflammation within the colon, other signs and symptoms can occur. Rectal pain, a sense of urgency in needing to defecate, and tenesmus (ineffective and painful urge to defecate) are symptoms of rectal involvement. Weight loss, fever, night sweats, fatigue, and dehydration are all possible symptoms and signs of ulcerative colitis.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
United States. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. "Ulcerative Colitis." Mar. 5, 2014. <http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/colitis/>.
Main Article on Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms and Signs
Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms and Signs
Examples of Medications for Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms and Signs
- cyclosporine microemulsion capsule - oral, Gengraf, Neoral
- hydrocortisone cream, ointment- rectal, Anusol-HC, Proctocort, Proctoc
- hydrocortisone enema - rectal, Cortenema
- hydrocortisone foam - rectal, Cortifoam
- hydrocortisone suppository - rectal, Anucort-HC, Anusol-HC, Cort-Do
- infliximab, Remicade
- mesalamine, Pentasa, Rowasa, Asacol, Asacol HD, Lialda, Canasa, Apriso, Delzicol
- methotrexate, Rheumatrex, Trexall
- methylprednisolone, Medrol, Depo-Medrol, Solu-Medrol
- olsalazine, Dipentum
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Electrolytes
- prednisone, Deltasone, Liquid Pred
- sulfasalazine, Azulifidine
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.