"Young children have died or become seriously ill from accidental exposure to a skin patch containing fentanyl, a powerful pain reliever. As a result of this, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is issuing a Drug Safety Communication to warn pa"...
Ultiva Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is remifentanil (Ultiva)?
- What are the possible side effects of remifentanil (Ultiva)?
- What is the most important information I should know about remifentanil (Ultiva)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before I receive remifentanil (Ultiva)?
- How should I take remifentanil (Ultiva)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Ultiva)?
- What happens if I overdose (Ultiva)?
- What should I avoid after receiving remifentanil (Ultiva)?
- What other drugs will affect remifentanil (Ultiva)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my health care provider before I receive remifentanil (Ultiva)?
You should not receive this medication if you are allergic to remifentanil.
Before you receive remifentanil, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions. You may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely receive this medication.
FDA pregnancy category C. Remifentanil may be harmful to an unborn baby. Before you receive this medication, tell your doctor if you are pregnant.
It is not known whether remifentanil passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not receive this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I take remifentanil (Ultiva)?
Remifentanil is given as an injection through a needle placed into a vein. You will receive this injection in a hospital or surgery center.
Remifentanil is usually given slowly through an IV infusion connected to pump that will release the correct dose of the medication to provide continuous pain relief during and after your surgery.
Your breathing and other vital signs will be constantly monitored while you are being treated with remifentanil.
You may be given other pain medications to use after your remifentanil treatment is discontinued.
Additional Ultiva Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.