"Young children have died or become seriously ill from accidental exposure to a skin patch containing fentanyl, a powerful pain reliever. As a result of this, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is issuing a Drug Safety Communication to warn pa"...
Ultiva Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Ultiva
Generic Name: remifentanil (Pronunciation: rem i FEN ta nil)
- What is remifentanil (Ultiva)?
- What are the possible side effects of remifentanil (Ultiva)?
- What is the most important information I should know about remifentanil (Ultiva)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before I receive remifentanil (Ultiva)?
- How should I take remifentanil (Ultiva)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Ultiva)?
- What happens if I overdose (Ultiva)?
- What should I avoid after receiving remifentanil (Ultiva)?
- What other drugs will affect remifentanil (Ultiva)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is remifentanil (Ultiva)?
Remifentanil is a narcotic (opioid) pain medicine.
Remifentanil is used to treat or prevent acute pain after surgery.
Remifentanil may be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of remifentanil (Ultiva)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Your caregivers will monitor you for any of these serious side effects, which may clear up within minutes after stopping the remifentanil infusion or decreasing the dose:
- weak, shallow breathing, or breathing that stops;
- fast or slow heart rate;
- stiff muscles; or
- severe weakness, feeling light-headed or fainting.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, constipation, dry mouth;
- itching or sweating;
- muscle pain;
- cough, sore throat;
- dizziness, confusion, agitation;
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Ultiva (remifentanil) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about remifentanil (Ultiva)?
You should not receive this medication if you are allergic to remifentanil.
Before you receive remifentanil, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions. You may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely receive this medication.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breast-feeding before you are treated with remifentanil.
Your breathing and other vital signs will be constantly monitored while you are being treated with remifentanil.
Remifentanil can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. You should not plan on driving or doing anything that requires you to be awake and alert right after you are treated with this medication.
Follow your doctor's instructions about any other restrictions on food, beverages, or activity after you are treated with remifentanil.
Additional Ultiva Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.