"Potential drug treatments are tested on paper, in laboratories and eventually in thousands of people. But every drug that goes through this cycle â€“ every drug that FDA approves â€“ carries some risk. One of the first lines of defense against "...
The most frequently reported adverse reactions to products containing pancrelipase are gastrointestinal in nature. Less frequently, allergic-type reactions have also been observed. Extremely high doses of exogenous pancreatic enzymes have been associated with hyperuricosuria and hyperuricemia when the preparations given were pancrelipase in powdered or capsule form, or pancreatin in tablet form.
Colonic strictures have been reported in cystic fibrosis patients treated with both high- and lower-strength enzyme supplements.10 A causal relationship has not been established. The possibility of bowel stricture should be considered if symptoms suggestive of gastrointestinal obstruction occur. Since impaired fluid secretion may be a factor in the development of intestinal obstruction, care should be taken to maintain adequate hydration, particularly in warm weather.11
“Fibrosing colonopathy” is a term used to describe a condition seen in patients with CF who have taken high amounts of pancreatic enzyme supplements ( > 6,000 lipase U/kg/meal). At its most advanced, this condition leads to colonic strictures.
- In whom should one consider the diagnosis of fibrosing colonopathy?
ESPECIALLY if they have:
- taken > 6,000 lipase U/kg/meal
- age less than twelve years
- history of meconium ileus
- prior intestinal surgery
- history of recurrent DIOS
- “inflammatory bowel disease”12
Read the Ultrase (pancrelipase) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
No information provided.
10. Smyth RL, van Velzen D, et al. Strictures of ascending colon in cystic fibrosis and high-strength pancreatic enzymes. The Lancet. 1994; 343:85-86.
11. Lands L, Zinman R, et al. Pancreatic function testing in meconium disease in CF: two case reports. J Ped Gastroenterol and Nut. 1988; 7:276-279.
12. Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Conference on Pancreatic Enzyme Supplementation in the Context of Fibrosing Colonopathy; Washington, D.C., March 23-24, 1995.
Read the Ultrase Drug Interactions Center for a complete guide to possible interactions
Last reviewed on RxList: 1/20/2009
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Ultrase Information
Ultrase - User Reviews
Ultrase User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.