"What are allergies?
Allergies occur when the body's immune system responds to a substance it considers an "invader." Substances that provoke the immune system into an allergic response are known as allergens. There is no such thing as a"...
Ultravate Cream Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Ultravate, Ultravate X Cream, Ultravate X Ointment
Generic Name: halobetasol topical (Pronunciation: HAL oh BAY ta sol)
- What is halobetasol topical (Ultravate Cream)?
- What are the possible side effects of halobetasol topical (Ultravate Cream)?
- What is the most important information I should know about halobetasol topical (Ultravate Cream)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using halobetasol topical (Ultravate Cream)?
- How should I use halobetasol topical (Ultravate Cream)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Ultravate Cream)?
- What happens if I overdose (Ultravate Cream)?
- What should I avoid while using halobetasol topical (Ultravate Cream)?
- What other drugs will affect halobetasol topical (Ultravate Cream)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is halobetasol topical (Ultravate Cream)?
Halobetasol is a topical (for the skin) steroid. It reduces the actions of chemicals in the body that cause inflammation, redness, and swelling.
Halobetasol topical is used to treat the inflammation and itching caused by a number of skin conditions such as allergic reactions, eczema, and psoriasis.
Halobetasol topical may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of halobetasol topical (Ultravate Cream)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have severe irritation of any treated skin, or if you show signs of absorbing halobetasol topical through your skin, such as:
- blurred vision, or seeing halos around lights;
- mood changes;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- weight gain, puffiness in your face; or
- muscle weakness, feeling tired.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild skin rash, itching, burning, redness, or dryness;
- thinning or softening of your skin;
- skin rash or irritation around your mouth;
- swollen hair follicles;
- spider veins;
- numbness or tingling;
- changes in color of treated skin;
- blisters, pimples, or crusting of treated skin; or
- stretch marks.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Ultravate Cream (halobetasol propionate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about halobetasol topical (Ultravate Cream)?
Use exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label. Topical steroid medicine can be absorbed through the skin, which may cause steroid side effects throughout the body.
Do not cover treated skin areas with a bandage or other covering unless your doctor has told you to. If you are treating the diaper area of a baby, do not use plastic pants or tight-fitting diapers. Covering the skin that is treated with halobetasol topical can increase the amount of medicine your skin absorbs, which may lead to unwanted side effects. Follow your doctor's instructions.
Do not use this medication on a child without a doctor's advice. Children are more likely to absorb large amounts of a topical steroid through the skin. Steroid absorption in children may cause unwanted side effects, or a delay in growth with long-term use. Talk with your doctor if you think your child is not growing at a normal rate while using this medication over a long treatment period.
Contact your doctor if your condition does not improve within 2 weeks of using this medicine, or if you develop signs of a bacterial, fungal, or viral skin infection.
Additional Ultravate Cream Information
Ultravate Ointment - User Reviews
Ultravate Ointment User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.