- What other names is Usnea known by?
- What is Usnea?
- How does Usnea work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Usnea.
Usnea is used for weight loss, pain relief, fever control, and wound healing; and to make phlegm easier to cough up.
Usnea is also used directly on the skin for sore mouth and throat.
Don't confuse usnea with oak moss (Evernia prunastri). Both usnea and oak moss are sometimes referred to as tree moss.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Human papilloma virus (HPV) infection. Early research suggests that applying a specific product (Zeta N, Bergamon Italia) containing zinc sulfate and usnic acid (a chemical found in usnea) to the vagina before and after surgical removal of HPV sores improves healing and reduces the recurrence of HPV infection for up to 6 months after surgery.
- Weight loss.
- Mild swelling (inflammation) of the mouth and throat.
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Next: How does Usnea work?
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.