Vaginal Bleeding Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Normal vaginal bleeding is the periodic blood that flows as a discharge from the woman's uterus. Normal vaginal bleeding is also called menorrhea. The process by which menorrhea occurs is called menstruation.
Abnormal vaginal bleeding is a flow of blood from the vagina that occurs either at the wrong time during the month or in inappropriate amounts.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Main Article on Vaginal Bleeding
Causes of Vaginal Bleeding
In This Article6 Birth Control Options Article
- Birth control facts
- How does birth control work?
- How long does it take for birth control to begin working?
- Can you get pregnant on birth control?
- What are the different types of birth control available?
- 1. What are hormonal birth control options (including oral contraceptives pills)?
- 2. What are barrier methods of birth control (including condoms)?
- 3. What about surgical sterilization (tubal ligation or vasectomy) for birth control?
- 4. What are natural birth control options?
- 5. What is emergency contraception?
- 6. What are IUDs (intrauterine devices)?
In This ArticleCancer Article
- Cancer facts
- What is cancer?
- What causes cancer?
- What are cancer symptoms and signs?
- What are the different types of cancer?
- How is cancer diagnosed?
- How is cancer staging determined?
- What is the treatment for cancer?
- Are there home remedies or alternative treatments for cancer?
- What is the prognosis for cancer?
- Can cancer be prevented?
- Where can people find more information about cancer?
In This ArticleEndometrial Cancer Prevention Article
- What is prevention?
- What is endometrial cancer (uterine cancer)?
- What are risk factors for endometrial cancer (uterine cancer)?
In This ArticleEndometriosis Article
- Endometriosis facts
- What is endometriosis?
- Who is affected by endometriosis?
- What causes endometriosis?
- What are the
- Endometriosis and cancer risk
- Does diet affect endometriosis?
- How is endometriosis diagnosed?
- How is endometriosis treated?
- Medical treatment of endometriosis
- Surgical treatment of endometriosis
- Treatment of infertility associated with endometriosis
In This ArticleHypothyroidism Article
- Hypothyroidism facts
- What is hypothyroidism?
- What are thyroid hormones?
- Thyroid hormone regulation- the chain of command
- What causes hypothyroidism?
- What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?
- How is hypothyroidism diagnosed?
- How is hypothyroidism treated?
- What is subclinical hypothyroidism?
- What's best for you?
In This ArticleLeukemia Article
- Leukemia facts
- What is leukemia? What are the different types of leukemia?
- What causes leukemia? Is leukemia hereditary?
- What are leukemia risk factors?
- What are leukemia symptoms and signs?
- How do physicians diagnose leukemia?
- What is the treatment for leukemia?
- What are complications of leukemia?
- What is the prognosis of leukemia?
- Is it possible to prevent leukemia?
- What support groups are available for people with leukemia?
- What research is being done on leukemia?
In This ArticleMenstruation Article
- Menstruation facts*
- What is menstruation?
- What is the menstrual cycle?
- What happens during the menstrual cycle?
- What is a typical menstrual period like?
- What kinds of problems do women have with their periods?
- When does a girl usually get her first period?
- How long does a woman have periods?
- When should I see a doctor about my period?
- How often should I change my pad/tampon?
In This ArticleOvarian Cancer Article
- Ovarian cancer facts
- What is ovarian cancer?
- Epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC)
- Ovarian low malignant potential tumor (OLMPT; borderline tumor)
- Germ cell ovarian cancers
- Stromal ovarian cancers
- What are ovarian cancer statistics?
- What are ovarian cancer risk factors?
- What are ovarian cancer symptoms and signs?
- How is ovarian cancer diagnosed?
- How is ovarian cancer staging determined?
- What is the treatment for ovarian cancer?
- What is the survival rate and prognosis of ovarian cancer?
- Can ovarian cancer be prevented?
- How does one cope with ovarian cancer?
In This ArticlePelvic Inflammatory Disease Article
- Pelvic inflammatory disease facts*
- What causes pelvic inflammatory disease?
- How common is pelvic inflammatory disease?
- Are some women more likely to get pelvic inflammatory disease?
- What are the signs and symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease?
- What is the treatment for pelvic inflammatory disease?
- What should I do if I think I have an STI (sexually transmitted disease)
- How can I keep myself from getting PID?
In This ArticlePerimenopause Article
- Perimenopause facts
- How does the menstrual cycle work?
- What is perimenopause?
- 1. Irregular vaginal bleeding or menses
- 2. Hot flashes or flushes
- 3. Night sweats
- 4. Breast tenderness
- 5. Weight gain
- 6. Nausea
- 7. Mood changes
- 8. Decreased libido (sex drive)
- 9. Decreased fertility
- 10. Loss of bone density
- 11. Vaginal pain during intercourse
- 12. Bladder problems
- 13. Blood cholesterol alterations
- What kind of doctor treats a woman in perimenopause?
- When should I contact my doctor if I think I may be experiencing perimenopausal symptoms?
- How is perimenopause diagnosed?
- What types of medications ease perimenopausal symptoms?
- Oral contraceptives
- Systemic hormonal products (medications)
- Vaginal topical estrogen
- Gabapentin (Neurontin)
- Antidepressant medications
- What alternative medical therapies help ease perimenopausal symptoms?
- 8 Lifestyle changes to help ease perimenopausal symptoms
In This ArticlePregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters) Article
- Pregnancy facts*
- What is the first trimester (week 1-week 12)?
- What is the second trimester (week 13-week 28)?
- What is the third trimester (week 29-week 40)?
- How will my baby develop week by week?
- What are the changes that happen to a woman's body during the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimester of her pregnancy?
- Body aches
- Breast changes
- Fatigue, sleep problems
- Heartburn and indigestion
- Hemorrhoids during pregnancy
- Leg cramps
- Morning sickness
- Nasal problems
- Numb or tingling hands
- Stretch marks, skin changes
- Urinary frequency and leaking
- Varicose veins
In This ArticleSexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) Article
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STD) facts
- What are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
- Genital Herpes
- Human Papillomaviruses (HPVs) and Genital Warts
- Ectoparasitic Infections
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
In This ArticleUterine Cancer Article
- Uterine cancer facts*
- What is the uterus?
- What is uterine cancer (endometrial cancer)?
- What causes uterine cancer? Who is at risk for uterine cancer?
- What are uterine cancer symptoms and signs?
- How is a diagnosis of uterine cancer determined?
- How is the stage determined for uterine cancer?
- What are treatment options for uterine cancer?
- What about surgery for the treatment of endometrial cancer?
- What about radiation therapy for the treatment of uterine cancer?
- What about chemotherapy for the treatment of endometrial cancer?
- What about hormone therapy for the treatment of uterine cancer?
- How does a person go about getting a second opinion after a uterine cancer diagnosis?
- What sort of follow-up treatment is needed during and after uterine cancer treatment?
- What support is available for patients with uterine cancer?
- What research is being done on uterine cancer?
In This ArticleUterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus) Article
- Uterine fibroids facts
- What are uterine fibroids?
- What causes uterine fibroids and how common are they?
- What are the symptomsof uterine fibroids?
- Do untreated uterine fibroids pose a risk?
- What are the usual ways of diagnosing uterine fibroids?
- What is the treatment for uterine fibroids?
- Surgery for fibroids
- Medical treatment for fibroids
- What are the risks of uterine fibroids during pregnancy?
In This ArticleUterine Growths Article
- What are uterine growths?
- What are uterine fibroids?
- What are the symptoms of uterine fibroids and what do they look like?
- How are uterine fibroids diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for uterine fibroids?
- Surgery for uterine fibroids
- Other medical treatment for uterine fibroids
- What are the complications of uterine fibroids?
- What is adenomyosis?
- What are the symptoms of adenomyosis and what does it look like?
- How is adenomyosis diagnosed?
- How is adenomyosis treated?
- What are uterine polyps?
- What are the symptoms of uterine polyps and what do they look like?
- How are uterine polyps diagnosed and treated?
In This ArticleVaginitis Article
- Vaginitis facts
- What is vaginitis?
- What causes vaginitis?
- What are the risk factors for vaginitis?
- What are the symptoms of vaginitis?
- How is vaginitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for vaginitis?
- Medications to treat vaginitis
- Can vaginitis be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for vaginitis?
Other Causes of Vaginal Bleeding
- Cervix-related (Cervicitis, Cervical Polyp)
- Medical Illnesses (Clotting Disorders, Hyperprolactinemia, Kidney Disease, Liver Disease, Thyroid or Adrenal Dysfunction)
- Medications (both Prescription and Non-prescription)
- Ovary or Fallopian Tube-related (Ovarian Tumors, Salpingo-oophoritis)
- Uterus-related (Adenomyosis, Endometrial Hyperplasia, Endometrial Polyp, Endometritis, Fibroids, Intrauterine Device/IUD)
- Vulvar or Vaginal-related (Coitus, Foreign Body in Vagina, Vaginal Tumor, Vulvitis)
Examples of Medications for Vaginal Bleeding
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.