Vaginal Bleeding Symptoms
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Normal vaginal bleeding is the periodic blood that flows as a discharge from the woman's uterus. Normal vaginal bleeding is also called menorrhea. The process by which menorrhea occurs is called menstruation.
Abnormal vaginal bleeding is a flow of blood from the vagina that occurs either at the wrong time during the month or in inappropriate amounts.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Main Article on Vaginal Bleeding
Causes of Vaginal Bleeding
In This ArticleBirth Control (Types and Options) Article
- Introduction to birth control types and options
- Summary and conclusions
- Birth Control At A Glance
In This ArticleEctopic Pregnancy Article
- What is an ectopic pregnancy?
- What are the risk factors for ectopic pregnancy?
- What are the signs and symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy?
- How is ectopic pregnancy diagnosed?
- What is the health risk of an ectopic pregnancy?
- What treatment options are available for ectopic pregnancy?
- Ectopic Pregnancy At A Glance
In This ArticleEndometrial Cancer Prevention Article
- What is prevention?
- What is endometrial cancer (uterine cancer)?
- Can endometrial cancer (uterine cancer) be prevented?
- What are risk factors for endometrial cancer (uterine cancer)?
In This ArticleEndometriosis Article
- Endometriosis facts
- What is endometriosis?
- Who is affected by endometriosis?
- What causes endometriosis?
- What are endometriosis symptoms?
- Endometriosis and cancer risk
- How is endometriosis diagnosed?
- How is endometriosis treated?
- Medical treatment of endometriosis
- Surgical treatment of endometriosis
- Treatment of infertility associated with endometriosis
- Related endometriosis article:
Endometriosis - on eMedicineHealth
In This ArticleHypothyroidism Article
- What is hypothyroidism?
- What are the thyroid hormones?
- Thyroid hormone regulation - the chain of command
- What causes hypothyroidism?
- What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?
- How is hypothyroidism diagnosed?
- How is hypothyroidism treated?
- What is subclinical hypothyroidism?
- What's best for you?
- Hypothyroidism At A Glance
In This ArticleLeukemia Article
- Leukemia facts*
- What is leukemia?
- What are the types of leukemia?
- Who is at risk for leukemia?
- What are symptoms of leukemia?
- How is leukemia diagnosed?
- How is leukemia treated?
- How does someone get a second opinion about leukemia treatment?
- What happens after treatment for leukemia?
- How important is nutrition and physical activity for leukemia patients?
- What sort of follow-up care do leukemia patients need?
- What are some sources of support?
- What research is being done for leukemia?
- What resources are available to patients with leukemia?
In This ArticleMenstruation Article
- What is menstruation?
- What is the menstrual cycle?
- What happens during the menstrual cycle?
- What is a typical menstrual period like?
- What kinds of problems do women have with their periods?
- When does a girl usually get her first period?
- How long does a woman have periods?
- When should I see a doctor about my period?
- How often should I change my pad/tampon?
In This ArticleOvarian Cancer Article
- Ovarian cancer facts*
- What are the ovaries?
- What is ovarian cancer?
- What are risk factors for ovarian cancer?
- Ovarian cancer symptoms
- How is ovarian cancer diagnosed?
- How is staging for ovarian cancer determined?
- What is the treatment for ovarian cancer?
- Treatment methods
- Radiation therapy
- What are the side effects of treatment for ovarian cancer?
- What follow-up care is necessary?
- Where can ovarian cancer patients find support?
- What research is available for ovarian cancer patients?
- What resources are available to patients with ovarian cancer?
In This ArticlePelvic Inflammatory Disease Article
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) facts*
- What is pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)?
- What causes pelvic inflammatory disease?
- How common is pelvic inflammatory disease?
- Are some women more likely to get pelvic inflammatory disease?
- What are the signs and symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease?
- How is pelvic inflammatory disease diagnosed?
- How is pelvic inflammatory disease treated?
- What if my partner is infected with pelvic inflammatory disease?
- Can pelvic inflammatory disease cause infertility?
- How can pelvic inflammatory disease be prevented?
- What should I do if I think I have an STI (sexually transmitted disease)?
In This ArticlePregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters) Article
- Pregnancy facts*
- What is the first trimester (week 1-week 12)?
- What is the second trimester (week 13-week 28)?
- What is the third trimester (week 29-week 40)?
- How will my baby develop week by week?
- What are the changes that happen to a woman's body during her 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimesters of pregnancy?
- Body aches
- Breast changes
- Fatigue, sleep problems
- Heartburn and indigestion
- Leg cramps
- Morning sickness
- Nasal problems
- Numb or tingling hands
- Stretch marks, skin changes
- Urinary frequency and leaking
- Varicose veins
In This ArticleSexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) Article
- What are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs, formerly referred to as sexually transmitted infections or STIs)?
- Genital Herpes
- Human Papillomaviruses (HPVs) and Genital Warts
- Ectoparasitic Infections
- Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
In This ArticleUterine Cancer Article
- What is the uterus?
- What is uterine cancer (endometrial cancer)?
- What causes uterine cancer? Who is at risk for uterine cancer?
- What are uterine cancer symptoms and signs?
- How is a diagnosis of uterine cancer determined?
- How is the stage determined for uterine cancer?
- What are treatment options for uterine cancer?
- What about surgery for the treatment of endometrial cancer?
- What about radiation therapy for the treatment of uterine cancer?
- What about chemotherapy for the treatment of endometrial cancer?
- What about hormone therapy for the treatment of uterine cancer?
- How does a person go about getting a second opinion after a uterine cancer diagnosis?
- What sort of follow-up treatment is needed during and after uterine cancer treatment?
- What support is available for patients with uterine cancer?
- What research is being done on uterine cancer?
- Uterine Cancer (Cancer of the Uterus, Endometrial Cancer) At A Glance
In This ArticleUterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus) Article
- Uterine fibroids facts
- What are uterine fibroids?
- What causes uterine fibroids and how common are they?
- What are the symptoms of uterine fibroids?
- Do untreated uterine fibroids pose a risk?
- What are the usual ways of diagnosing uterine fibroids?
- What is the treatment of uterine fibroids?
- Surgery for fibroids
- Medical treatment for fibroids
- What are the risks of uterine fibroids during pregnancy?
In This ArticleUterine Growths Article
- What are uterine growths?
- What are uterine fibroids?
- What are the symptoms of uterine fibroids?
- How are uterine fibroids diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for uterine fibroids?
- Surgery for uterine fibroids
- Other medical treatment for uterine fibroids
- What are the complications of uterine fibroids?
- What is adenomyosis?
- What are the symptoms of adenomyosis?
- How is adenomyosis diagnosed?
- How is adenomyosis treated?
- What are uterine polyps?
- What are the symptoms of uterine polyps?
- How are uterine polyps diagnosed and treated?
Other Causes of Vaginal Bleeding
- Cervix-related (Cervicitis, Cervical Polyp)
- Medical Illnesses (Clotting Disorders, Hyperprolactinemia, Kidney Disease, Liver Disease, Thyroid or Adrenal Dysfunction)
- Medications (both Prescription and Non-prescription)
- Ovary or Fallopian Tube-related (Ovarian Tumors, Salpingo-oophoritis)
- Uterus-related (Adenomyosis, Endometrial Hyperplasia, Endometrial Polyp, Endometritis, Fibroids, Intrauterine Device/IUD)
- Vulvar or Vaginal-related (Coitus, Foreign Body in Vagina, Vaginal Tumor, Vulvitis)
Examples of Medications for Vaginal Bleeding
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.