Vaginal Douche (Douching) (cont.)
In this Article
- What is douching?
- Why do women douche?
- How common is douching?
- Is douching safe?
- What are the dangers linked to douching?
- Should I douche to clean inside my vagina?
- What is the best way to clean my vagina?
- Should I douche to get rid of vaginal discharge, pain, itching, or burning?
- Can douching after sex prevent sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
- Can douching after sex stop me from getting pregnant?
- Can douching hurt my chances of having a healthy pregnancy?
Can douching hurt my chances of having a healthy pregnancy?
Douching may affect your chances of having a healthy pregnancy. Limited research shows that douching may make it harder for you to get pregnant. In women trying to get pregnant, those who douched more than once a week took the longest to get pregnant.
Studies also show that douching may increase a woman's chance of damaged fallopian tubes and ectopic (ek-TOP-ik) pregnancy. Ectopic pregnancy is when the fertilized egg attaches to the inside of the fallopian tube instead of the uterus. If left untreated, ectopic pregnancy can be life threatening. It can also make it hard for a woman to get pregnant in the future.
SOURCE: womenshealth.gov. Douching.
Last Editorial Review: 5/18/2010
Viewers share their comments
Find out what women really need.