Vaginal Dryness Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Vaginal dryness is often due to deficiency of the female hormone estrogen. Sometimes vaginal dryness is a result of skin conditions of the genital area. Often no specific cause of vaginal dryness can be identified.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Vaginal Dryness
In This ArticleHypothyroidism Article
- Hypothyroidism facts
- What is hypothyroidism?
- What are thyroid hormones?
- Thyroid hormone regulation- the chain of command
- What causes hypothyroidism?
- What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?
- How is hypothyroidism diagnosed?
- How is hypothyroidism treated?
- What is subclinical hypothyroidism?
- What's best for you?
In This ArticleMenopause and Sex Article
- Menopause and sex facts
- How does menopause affect sexual function?
- What are some symptoms of menopause that can affect sexual function?
- What are some treatments for troubling symptoms of menopause?
- What are some ways to improve sexual function after menopause?
In This ArticlePerimenopause Article
- Perimenopause facts
- How does the menstrual cycle work?
- What is perimenopause?
- 1. Irregular vaginal bleeding or menses
- 2. Hot flashes or flushes
- 3. Night sweats
- 4. Breast tenderness
- 5. Weight gain
- 6. Nausea
- 7. Mood changes
- 8. Decreased libido (sex drive)
- 9. Decreased fertility
- 10. Loss of bone density
- 11. Vaginal pain during intercourse
- 12. Bladder problems
- 13. Alterations of blood cholesterol levels
- What kind of doctor treats a woman in perimenopause?
- When should I contact my doctor if I think I may be experiencing perimenopausal symptoms?
- How is perimenopause diagnosed?
- What types of medications ease perimenopausal symptoms?
- Oral contraceptives
- Systemic hormonal products (medications)
- Topical vaginal estrogen
- Gabapentin (Neurontin)
- Antidepressant medications
- What alternative medical therapies help ease perimenopausal symptoms?
- 8 Lifestyle changes to help ease perimenopausal symptoms
In This ArticleSjogren's Syndrome Article
- Sjögren's syndrome facts
- What is Sjögren's syndrome?
- What causes Sjögren's syndrome?
- What are risk factors for developing Sjögren's syndrome?
- What are Sjögren's syndrome symptoms and signs?
- How is Sjögren's syndrome diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for Sjögren's syndrome? Will dietary changes improve Sjögren's syndrome symptoms and signs?
- What are complications of Sjögren's syndrome?
- Is it possible to prevent Sjögren's syndrome?
- What is the prognosis for patients with Sjögren's syndrome?
- What types of doctors treat Sjögren's syndrome?
In This ArticleVaginal Pain Article
- Vaginal pain and vulvodynia facts
- What is vaginal pain (vulvodynia)?
- What causes vaginal pain and/or vulvodynia?
- What about vaginal pain during pregnancy?
- What symptoms are characteristic of vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
- What are risk factors for vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
- How is vaginal pain and vulvodynia diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
- Medications and other medical therapies for vaginal pain and vulvodynia
- Home remedies for vaginal pain and vulvodynia
- What are the complications of vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
In This ArticleVaginitis Article
- Vaginitis facts
- What is vaginitis?
- What causes vaginitis?
- What are the risk factors for vaginitis?
- What are the symptoms of vaginitis?
- How is vaginitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for vaginitis?
- Medications to treat vaginitis
- Can vaginitis be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for vaginitis?
Other Causes of Vaginal Dryness
- Medications (both Prescription and Non-prescription)
- Vaginal Atrophy
Examples of Medications for Vaginal Dryness
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.