Vaginal Itching Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Although vaginal itching is the hallmark of yeast infections and other vaginal infections (including sexually transmitted diseases [STDs]), itching in the vagina and vulvar areas has multiple causes. Vaginal itching can also arise due to chemical irritants that may be found in detergents or soaps, douches and vaginal creams, toilet paper, bath products, feminine hygiene products, and vaginal contraceptive products.
Women in the menopausal transition may experience vaginal itching due to fluctuations in estrogen levels. As estrogen levels decline in the perimenopause, the vaginal wall becomes thinner and drier, and itching may result.
Some studies have shown a link between psychological stress and vaginal yeast infections. This is likely due to the fact that stress is known to have a negative effect on the immune system and could possibly increase the likelihood of getting a yeast infection in women and men.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Vaginal Itching
In This ArticleChlamydia in Women Article
- What is chlamydia?
- What causes chlamydia?
- What are the signs and symptoms of chlamydia?
- How is chlamydia diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for chlamydia?
- What is the prognosis for chlamydia?
- Can chlamydia be prevented?
In This ArticleGenital Herpes in Women Article
- Genital herpes in women facts
- What is genital herpes?
- How common is genital herpes?
- What are the signs and symptoms of genital herpes?
- What causes genital herpes, and how is it spread?
- How do you get genital herpes (transmission)?
- What kind of doctors treats genital herpes?
- How is genital herpes diagnosed?
- Is there a cure for genital herpes?
- Are home remedies or natural treatments effective for genital herpes?
- What medications treat and manage genital herpes?
- How is genital herpes managed during pregnancy?
- What is the prognosis for a person with genital herpes?
- Is there a link between genital herpes and HIV?
- Can genital herpes be prevented?
In This ArticleGenital Warts (HPV) Article
- Genital warts (HPV) facts*
- What are human papillomaviruses (HPVs)?
- How common is HPV infection?
- What are the symptoms of genital warts?
- How is HPV infection diagnosed?
- Is there a DNA test for types of HPV infection?
- How are genital warts diagnosed?
- Is there a cure or treatment for external genital warts?
- Precancerous changes (dysplasia) of the cervix
- Can HPV infection be prevented?
- What should a person do if exposed to someone with genital warts?
In This ArticleGonorrhea In Women Article
- Gonorrhea facts
- What are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
- What is gonorrhea?
- What are the symptoms of gonorrhea?
- How is gonorrhea diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for gonorrhea?
In This ArticleIs a Yeast Infection Contagious? Article
- What are yeast?
- Is a yeast infection contagious?
- How do I know if I have a yeast infection?
- How will I know if I am cured of a yeast infection?
- When should I seek medical care for yeast infection?
In This ArticlePinworms Article
- Pinworms facts
- Can humans get pinworms?
- What are the symptoms of pinworms in children and adults?
- Who gets pinworms?
- How do you get pinworms?
- Can you get pinworms in the vagina?
- What do pinworms and their eggs look like (pinworm pictures)?
- Which specialties of doctors treat pinworms?
- How is the tape test used in diagnosing pinworms?
- Are there natural or home remedies that treat pinworms?
- What medicine treats pinworms?
- What are the consequences if pinworms aren't treated?
- Can pinworms be prevented?
In This ArticlePsoriasis Article
- Psoriasis facts
- What is psoriasis?
- What are psoriasis causes and risk factors?
- What are the different types of psoriasis?
- Can psoriasis affect my joints?
- Can psoriasis affect only my nails?
- What are psoriasis symptoms and signs? What does psoriasis look like?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose psoriasis?
- Eczema vs. psoriasis
- How many people have psoriasis?
- Is psoriasis contagious?
- Is there a cure for psoriasis?
- Is psoriasis hereditary?
- What kind of doctor treats psoriasis?
- What is the treatment for psoriasis?
- What creams, lotions, and home remedies are available for psoriasis?
- Are psoriasis shampoos available?
- What oral medications are available for psoriasis?
- What injections or infusions are available for psoriasis?
- Is there a psoriasis diet?
- What about light therapy for psoriasis?
- What is the long-term prognosis with psoriasis? What are complications of psoriasis?
- Is it possible to prevent psoriasis?
- What does the future hold for psoriasis?
- Is there a national psoriasis support group?
- Where can people get more information on psoriasis?
In This ArticleSexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) Article
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STD) facts
- What are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
- Genital Herpes
- Human Papillomaviruses (HPVs) and Genital Warts
- Ectoparasitic Infections
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
In This ArticleTrichomoniasis (Vaginal Infection) Article
- Trichomoniasis facts*
- What is trichomoniasis and how do you get it?
- What are the symptoms of trichomoniasis?
- Is there a test for trichomoniasis?
- How is trichomoniasis treated?
- What happens if I don't get treated?
- Should I tell my partner if I have trichomoniasis?
- Does trichomoniasis cause problems during pregnancy?
- How is trichomoniasis prevented?
In This ArticleVaginal Pain Article
- Vaginal pain and vulvodynia facts
- What is vaginal pain (vulvodynia)?
- What causes vaginal pain and/or vulvodynia?
- What about vaginal pain during pregnancy?
- What symptoms are characteristic of vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
- What are risk factors for vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
- How is vaginal pain and vulvodynia diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
- Medications and other medical therapies for vaginal pain and vulvodynia
- Home remedies for vaginal pain and vulvodynia
- What are the complications of vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
In This ArticleVaginitis Article
- Vaginitis facts
- What is vaginitis?
- What causes vaginitis?
- What are the risk factors for vaginitis?
- What are the symptoms of vaginitis?
- How is vaginitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for vaginitis?
- Medications to treat vaginitis
- Can vaginitis be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for vaginitis?
Other Causes of Vaginal Itching
- Chemical Irritants
Examples of Medications for Vaginal Itching
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.