Vaginal Odor Early Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Vaginal odor is typically from inflammation of the vaginal area. Inflammation of the vaginal area can occur because of poor hygiene but is often a result of infection in or around the vagina. A common infection that can cause vaginal odor is overgrowth of the normal vaginal bacteria to cause bacterial vaginosis. The sexually transmitted disease trichinosis can cause vaginal odor. Uncommon causes of vaginal odor include cancers and an abnormal passageway between the rectum and vagina (rectovaginal fistula).
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Vaginal Odor
In This ArticleChlamydia in Women Article
- What is chlamydia?
- What causes chlamydia?
- What are the signs and symptoms of chlamydia?
- How is chlamydia diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for chlamydia?
- What is the prognosis for chlamydia?
- Can chlamydia be prevented?
In This ArticleGenital Herpes in Women Article
- Genital herpes in women facts
- What is genital herpes?
- What causes genital herpes?
- How is genital herpes transmitted?
- What are the signs and symptoms of genital herpes?
- How is genital herpes diagnosed?
- Can genital herpes be cured?
- What is the treatment for genital herpes?
- Are home remedies or natural treatments effective for genital herpes?
- How is genital herpes managed in pregnancy?
- What is the prognosis for genital herpes?
- Can genital herpes be prevented?
In This ArticleGonorrhea In Women Article
- Gonorrhea facts
- What are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
- What is gonorrhea?
- What are the symptoms of gonorrhea?
- How is gonorrhea diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for gonorrhea?
In This ArticleIs a Yeast Infection Contagious? Article
- What are yeast?
- Is a yeast infection contagious?
- How do I know if I have a yeast infection?
- How will I know if I am cured of a yeast infection?
- When should I seek medical care for yeast infection?
In This ArticlePelvic Inflammatory Disease Article
- Pelvic inflammatory disease facts*
- What is pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)?
- What causes pelvic inflammatory disease?
- How common is pelvic inflammatory disease?
- Are some women more likely to get pelvic inflammatory disease?
- What are the signs and symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease?
- What is the treatment for pelvic inflammatory disease?
- What should I do if I think I have an STI (sexually transmitted disease)
- How can I keep myself from getting PID?
In This ArticleSexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) Article
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STD) facts
- What are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
- Genital Herpes
- Human Papillomaviruses (HPVs) and Genital Warts
- Ectoparasitic Infections
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
In This ArticleSyphilis in Women Article
- What is syphilis?
- What causes syphillis?
- What are the signs and symptoms of syphilis?
- What tests are used to diagnose syphilis?
- What is the treatment for syphilis?
- What are the potential complications of syphilis?
- What is the prognosis for syphilis?
- Can syphilis be prevented?
In This ArticleTrichomoniasis (Vaginal Infection) Article
- Trichomoniasis facts*
- What is trichomoniasis and how do you get it?
- What are the symptoms of trichomoniasis?
- Is there a test for trichomoniasis?
- How is trichomoniasis treated?
- What happens if I don't get treated?
- Should I tell my partner if I have trichomoniasis?
- Does trichomoniasis cause problems during pregnancy?
- How is trichomoniasis prevented?
In This ArticleVaginitis Article
- Vaginitis facts
- What is vaginitis?
- What causes vaginitis?
- What are the risk factors for vaginitis?
- What are the symptoms of vaginitis?
- How is vaginitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for vaginitis?
- Medications to treat vaginitis
- Can vaginitis be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for vaginitis?
In This ArticleYeast Infection (in Women and Men) Article
- Vaginal yeast infection facts
- What is a vaginal yeast infection?
- What causes a vaginal yeast infection?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection?
- What may increase my risk of getting a vaginal yeast infection?
- How is a vaginal yeast infection diagnosed?
- Are there home remedies to treat a vaginal yeast infection?
- What over-the-counter (OTC) medications are available to treat a vaginal yeast infection?
- When are oral prescription medications used to treat a vaginal yeast infection?
- How can a yeast infection be treated if I am pregnant?
- Can a man get a yeast infection from his sexual partner?
- What are the symptoms of a yeast infection in men?
- What is the treatment for yeast infection in men?
- How can vaginal yeast infections be prevented?
- What about recurrent yeast infections?
- How can you protect yourself from contracting a yeast infection from your sexual partner?
Other Causes of Vaginal Odor
- Infection (Bacterial)
- Ulcers From Infection (Chancroid, Lymphogranuloma Venereum/LGV)
Examples of Medications for Vaginal Odor
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.