Vaginal Pain Early Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Pain in the vagina or the female external genital organs (the vulva, which includes the labia, clitoris, and entrance to the vagina) most commonly is a result of infection. Vaginal pain during sexual intercourse is referred to as dyspareunia. Infection of the vagina is referred to as vaginitis. Vaginal pain can be a result of injury or trauma to the vagina or vulva. The medical term for vaginal pain is vulvodynia.
Yeast infection (Candida) is a particularly common form of vaginitis. Women are at increased risk for yeast vaginitis if they take antibiotics or cortisone medications during pregnancy and if their immune systems are suppressed by medications or disease.
Depending on the cause of vaginal pain, it may be associated with
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Longo, D.L., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 18th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.
Main Article on Vaginal Pain
Causes of Vaginal Pain
In This ArticleChlamydia in Women Article
- What is chlamydia?
- What causes chlamydia?
- What are the signs and symptoms of chlamydia?
- How is chlamydia diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for chlamydia?
- What is the prognosis for chlamydia?
- Can chlamydia be prevented?
In This ArticleGenital Herpes in Women Article
- Genital herpes in women facts
- What is genital herpes?
- What causes genital herpes?
- How is genital herpes transmitted?
- What are the signs and symptoms of genital herpes?
- How is genital herpes diagnosed?
- Can genital herpes be cured?
- What is the treatment for genital herpes?
- Are home remedies or natural treatments effective for genital herpes?
- How is genital herpes managed in pregnancy?
- What is the prognosis for genital herpes?
- Can genital herpes be prevented?
In This ArticleGenital Warts (HPV) Article
- Genital warts (HPV) facts*
- What are human papillomaviruses (HPVs)?
- How common is HPV infection?
- What are the symptoms of genital warts?
- How is HPV infection diagnosed?
- Is there a DNA test for types of HPV infection?
- How are genital warts diagnosed?
- Is there a cure or treatment for external genital warts?
- Precancerous changes (dysplasia) of the cervix
- Can HPV infection be prevented?
- What should a person do if exposed to someone with genital warts?
In This ArticleIs a Yeast Infection Contagious? Article
- What are yeast?
- Is a yeast infection contagious?
- How do I know if I have a yeast infection?
- How will I know if I am cured of a yeast infection?
- When should I seek medical care for yeast infection?
In This ArticleLichen Planus Article
- Lichen planus facts
- What is lichen planus?
- What causes lichen planus?
- How is the rash of lichen planus different from that of most other common rashes?
- What are lichen planus symptoms and signs?
- What does lichen planus look like?
- How is lichen planus diagnosed?
- Are there home remedies for lichen planus?
- What is the treatment for lichen planus?
- What is the long-term prognosis of lichen planus?
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs) When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...learn more »In This ArticleSexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs) Article
- Pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, commonly called STDs
- STDs include
- What are the symptoms of STDs?
- How can STDs affect my pregnancy?
- How can I find out if I have an STD?
- How are STDs treated in pregnancy?
- How can I protect myself from STDs?
- How can I prevent spreading a STD?
In This ArticleSexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) Article
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STD) facts
- What are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
- Genital Herpes
- Human Papillomaviruses (HPVs) and Genital Warts
- Ectoparasitic Infections
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
In This ArticleSjogren's Syndrome Article
- Sjögren's syndrome facts
- What is Sjögren's syndrome?
- What causes Sjögren's syndrome?
- What are risk factors for developing Sjögren's syndrome?
- What are Sjögren's syndrome symptoms and signs?
- How is Sjögren's syndrome diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for Sjögren's syndrome? Will dietary changes improve Sjögren's syndrome symptoms and signs?
- What are complications of Sjögren's syndrome?
- Can Sjögren's syndrome be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for patients with Sjögren's syndrome?
In This ArticleUrinary Tract Infections in Children Article
- Urinary tract infection (UTI) facts
- What is a urinary tract infection (UTI)?
- What causes urinary tract infections in children?
- What are symptoms and signs of urinary tract infections (UTIs) in children?
- How are UTIs in children diagnosed?
- How long do UTIs in children last?
- Are UTIs in children contagious?
- Are there any home remedies for UTIs in children?
- What is the treatment for UTIs in children?
- Can UTIs in children be prevented?
In This ArticleVaginitis Article
- Vaginitis facts
- What is vaginitis?
- What causes vaginitis?
- What are the risk factors for vaginitis?
- What are the symptoms of vaginitis?
- How is vaginitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for vaginitis?
- Medications to treat vaginitis
- Can vaginitis be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for vaginitis?
In This ArticleYeast Infection (in Women and Men) Article
- Vaginal yeast infection facts
- What is a vaginal yeast infection?
- What causes a vaginal yeast infection?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection?
- What may increase my risk of getting a vaginal yeast infection?
- How is a vaginal yeast infection diagnosed?
- Are there home remedies to treat a vaginal yeast infection?
- What over-the-counter (OTC) medications are available to treat a vaginal yeast infection?
- When are oral prescription medications used to treat a vaginal yeast infection?
- How can a yeast infection be treated if I am pregnant?
- Can a man get a yeast infection from his sexual partner?
- What are the symptoms of a yeast infection in men?
- What is the treatment for yeast infection in men?
- How can vaginal yeast infections be prevented?
- What about recurrent yeast infections?
- How can you protect yourself from contracting a yeast infection from your sexual partner?
Other Causes of Vaginal Pain
- Bartholin's Abscesses
- Trauma Injury
Examples of Medications for Vaginal Pain
- conjugated equine estrogens and medroxyprogesterone acetate, Prempro, Premphase
- esterified estrogens and methyltestosterone, Estratest, Estratest HS
- esterified estrogens, Estratab (discontinued); Menest
- estradiol, Alora, Climara, Delestrogen, Depo-Estradiol, Divigel, Elestrin, Estrace, and Others
- estrogens conjugated synthetic, Cenestin
- estrogens conjugated, Premarin
- estropipate, Ogen
- flibanserin (Addyi)
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- terconazole, Terazol, Zazole
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.