In this Article
- What other names is Valerian known by?
- What is Valerian?
- Is Valerian effective?
- How does Valerian work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Valerian.
Some information suggests that valerian might be safe when taken by children for 4-8 weeks.
Do not take valerian if:
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- You are scheduled for surgery in the next two weeks. Valerian might cause excessive sedation if combined with medications used during and after surgery.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips for better sleep.