"Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a proposed order that, if finalized, would reclassify sunlamp products and require labeling to include a recommendation designed to warn young people not to use these devices.
Vaniqa Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Vaniqa
Generic Name: eflornithine topical (Pronunciation: ee FLOOR nih theen)
- What is eflornithine topical (Vaniqa)?
- What are the possible side effects of eflornithine topical (Vaniqa)?
- What is the most important information I should know about eflornithine topical (Vaniqa)?
- Who should not use eflornithine topical (Vaniqa)?
- How should I use eflornithine topical (Vaniqa)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Vaniqa)?
- What happens if I overdose (Vaniqa)?
- What should I avoid while using eflornithine topical (Vaniqa)?
- What other drugs will affect eflornithine topical (Vaniqa)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is eflornithine topical (Vaniqa)?
Eflornithine interferes with a chemical in the hair follicles of the skin. This results in slower hair growth where eflornithine topical is applied.
Eflornithine topical is used to reduce unwanted facial hair in women. Eflornithine topical does not permanently remove hair or "cure" unwanted facial hair. Eflornithine topical will help you manage your condition and improve your appearance.
Eflornithine topical may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of eflornithine topical (Vaniqa)?
Eflornithine topical may cause temporary redness, rash, burning, stinging, or tingling, especially if it is applied to broken or irritated skin. If irritation develops, reduce the application of eflornithine topical to once a day. If irritation continues, stop using eflornithine topical and contact your doctor.
Hair bumps (folliculitis) may also occur. If these continue, contact your doctor.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Vaniqa (eflornithine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about eflornithine topical (Vaniqa)?
Eflornithine topical is for external use only.
Continue to use eflornithine topical even if you do not see immediate results. Reduction in facial hair occurs gradually. Improvement may be seen as early as 4 to 8 weeks of treatment, however it may take longer in some individuals. If no improvement is seen after 6 months of use, treatment with eflornithine topical should be discontinued. Hair growth may return to pretreatment levels approximately 8 weeks after discontinuation of treatment with eflornithine topical.
Additional Vaniqa Information
- Vaniqa Drug Interactions Center: eflornithine top
- Vaniqa Side Effects Center
- Vaniqa Overview including Precautions
- Vaniqa FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Vaniqa - User Reviews
Vaniqa User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Skin & Beauty
Get beauty tips and body treatments.