"The Ebola outbreak in Nigeria appears to be nearing a possible end due to a rapid response coordinated by Nigeria’s Emergency Operations Center with assistance from international partners, including the Centers for Disease Control and P"...
Vantin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Vantin
Generic Name: cefpodoxime (Pronunciation: SEF poe DOX eem)
- What is cefpodoxime (Vantin)?
- What are the possible side effects of cefpodoxime (Vantin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about cefpodoxime (Vantin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cefpodoxime (Vantin)?
- How should I take cefpodoxime (Vantin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Vantin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Vantin)?
- What should I avoid while taking cefpodoxime (Vantin)?
- What other drugs will affect cefpodoxime (Vantin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is cefpodoxime (Vantin)?
Cefpodoxime is in a group of drugs called cephalosporin (SEF a low spor in) antibiotics. It works by fighting bacteria in your body.
Cefpodoxime is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria.
Cefpodoxime may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Vantin 200 mg
elliptical, red, imprinted with U 3618
What are the possible side effects of cefpodoxime (Vantin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- unusual bleeding or bruising;
- cough, wheezing, chest tightness, trouble breathing;
- fast or pounding heartbeats;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- seizure (convulsions);
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion or weakness;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- swelling, rapid weight gain, feeling short of breath (even with mild exertion); or
- increased thirst, loss of appetite, urinating less than usual or not at all.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, mild diarrhea, bloating, gas, constipation;
- stiff or tight muscles;
- back pain, muscle pain;
- headache, tired feeling;
- anxiety, nervousness, feeling restless or hyperactive;
- numbness or tingly feeling, warmth or redness under your skin;
- dizziness, spinning sensation;
- strange dreams, nightmares;
- stuffy nose;
- dry mouth, unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth;
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips;
- diaper rash in an infant taking liquid cefpodoxime
- mild itching or skin rash; or
- vaginal itching or discharge.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Vantin (cefpodoxmine proxetil) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about cefpodoxime (Vantin)?
Do not take this medication if you are allergic to cefpodoxime, or to similar antibiotics, such as Ceftin, Cefzil, Keflex, Omnicef, and others.
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs (especially penicillin). Also tell your doctor if you have kidney disease or a history of intestinal problems.
Take this medication for the entire length of time prescribed by your doctor. Your symptoms may get better before the infection is completely treated. Cefpodoxime will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or has blood in it, call your doctor. Do not use any medicine to stop the diarrhea unless your doctor has told you to.
Additional Vantin Information
- Vantin Drug Interactions Center: cefpodoxime oral
- Vantin Side Effects Center
- Vantin Overview including Precautions
- Vantin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Vantin - User Reviews
Vantin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.