"Oct. 28, 2012 -- Flu vaccines may do more than guard against infection. New research hints that the vaccine, which is recommended for all adults, may also help the heart.
Two new studies presented at the 2012 Canadian Cardiovascular C"...
- Clinician Information:
Vaprisol Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Vaprisol
Generic Name: conivaptan (Pronunciation: koe NYE vap tan)
- What is conivaptan (Vaprisol)?
- What are the possible side effects of conivaptan (Vaprisol)?
- What is the most important information I should know about conivaptan (Vaprisol)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before receiving conivaptan (Vaprisol)?
- How is conivaptan given (Vaprisol)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Vaprisol)?
- What happens if I overdose (Vaprisol)?
- What should I avoid while receiving conivaptan (Vaprisol)?
- What other drugs will affect conivaptan (Vaprisol)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is conivaptan (Vaprisol)?
Conivaptan reduces the level of a hormone that regulates the balance of water and salt (sodium) in the body. High levels of this hormone can cause an imbalance that results in low sodium levels and fluid retention.
Conivaptan is used to treat hyponatremia (low sodium levels). Conivaptan improves urine flow without causing the body to lose too much sodium as you urinate.
Conivaptan may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of conivaptan (Vaprisol)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- feeling like you might pass out;
- low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling);
- trouble speaking, trouble swallowing, weakness, mood changes, muscle spasm or weakness in your arms and legs, seizure;
- pain, redness, or swelling where the IV needle is placed;
- swelling, rapid weight gain; or
- pain or burning when you urinate.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild fever;
- diarrhea; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Vaprisol (conivaptan hcl injection) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about conivaptan (Vaprisol)?
You should not receive this medication if you are allergic to conivaptan or corn products, or if you are unable to urinate.
Before you receive conivaptan, tell your doctor if you have congestive heart failure, liver disease, kidney disease, alcoholism, or if you are malnourished.
To be sure this medicine is helping your condition, your blood will need to be tested often.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have a serious side effect such as confusion, extreme thirst, muscle weakness or limp feeling, trouble speaking or swallowing, mood changes, or swelling or discomfort where the IV needle is placed.
Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list of all your medicines and show it to any healthcare provider who treats you.
Additional Vaprisol Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.