"Viral hepatitis â€“ a group of infectious diseases known as hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E- affects almost 400 million people worldwide, causing both acute (short-term) and chronic (long-term) liver disease and killing more than 1.4 million peop"...
Information for Vaccine Recipients and Parents or Guardians
- Inform the patient, parent or guardian of the potential benefits and risks of the vaccine.
- Question the vaccine recipient, parent, or guardian about the occurrence of any symptoms and/or signs of an adverse reaction after a previous dose of hepatitis A vaccine.
- Inform the patient, parent, or guardian about the potential for adverse events that have been temporally associated with administration of VAQTA.
- Tell the patient, parent, or guardian accompanying the recipient, to report adverse events to the physician or clinic where the vaccine was administered.
- Prior to vaccination, give the patient, parent, or guardian the Vaccine Information Statements which are required by the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986. These materials are available free of charge at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website (www.cdc.gov/vaccines).
- Tell the patient, parent, or guardian that the United States Department of Health and Human Services has established a Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) to accept all reports of suspected adverse events after the administration of any vaccine, including but not limited to the reporting of events required by the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986. The VAERS toll-free number is 1-800-822-7967. Reporting forms may also be obtained at the VAERS website at (www.vaers.hhs.gov).
Last reviewed on RxList: 12/1/2016
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Vaqta Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find the secrets to longer life.