"Scientists at the National Institutes of Health report they have discovered in mouse studies that a small molecule released in the spinal cord triggers a process that is later experienced in the brain as the sensation of itch.
(desonide) Foam 0.05%
Read the Patient Information that comes with VERDESO Foam before you start using it and each time you get a refill. There may be new information. This leaflet does not take the place of talking with your doctor about your condition or treatment.
What is VERDESO Foam?
VERDESO Foam is a prescription medicine used on the skin (topical) to treat mild or moderate atopic dermatitis in people 3 months of age and older.
It is not known if VERDESO Foam is safe and effective when used for longer than 4 weeks in a row. You should not use VERDESO Foam for more than 4 weeks in a row without talking with your doctor.
It is not known if VERDESO Foam is safe and effective in children younger than 3 months of age.
What should I tell my doctor before using VERDESO Foam?
Before using VERDESO Foam, tell your doctor if you:
- have a skin infection that is not healing.
- have had irritation or other skin reaction to a steroid medicine in the past.
- plan to have surgery.
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if VERDESO Foam will harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if VERDESO Foam passes into your breast milk. If you use VERDESO Foam while breastfeeding, do not apply it to your chest area. This will help prevent your baby from swallowing VERDESO Foam.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your doctor if you use another medicine on your skin for your atopic dermatitis.
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them to show your doctor and pharmacist when you get a new medicine.
How should I use VERDESO Foam?
- Use VERDESO Foam exactly as prescribed. Do not use more VERDESO Foam than is needed to cover the affected areas.
- Do not get VERDESO Foam in your eyes, mouth, or vagina.
- VERDESO Foam is usually applied to the affected skin areas 2 times each day.
- Talk to your doctor if your skin does not improve after using VERDESO Foam for 4 weeks.
- You should not use VERDESO Foam for more than 4 weeks in a row without talking with your doctor.
- VERDESO Foam contains alcohol. Alcohol-based products are flammable. Avoid fire, flames, or smoking while applying VERDESO Foam to your skin and right after you apply it.
Applying VERDESO Foam.
- Before applying VERDESO Foam for the first time, break the tiny plastic seal at the base of the nozzle by gently pushing it back away from the seal. Shake the can before use. Remove the cap.
- Turn the can upside down. Depress the button to dispense a small amount of VERDESO Foam into the palm of your hand or directly onto the affected skin area. Do not apply VERDESO Foam directly to your face. Use the smallest amount of VERDESO Foam needed to cover the affected areas with a thin layer.
- Gently massage the VERDESO Foam into the affected areas until it disappears. Avoid getting the medicine in your eyes.
- Do not apply directly on the face. Place in hands and gently massage affected areas of face. Take care to avoid eyes and lips. Remember to wash hands after use.
- Do not apply a bandage over VERDESO Foam unless your doctor tells you to.
What are the possible side effects of VERDESO Foam?
Common side effects of VERDESO Foam include:
- upper respiratory tract infection
- burning where you apply VERDESO Foam
- increased blood pressure
Tell your doctor if you have any side effects that bother you or that do not go away.
These are not all the possible side effects of VERDESO Foam. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or to Stiefel at 1-888-784-3335 (STIEFEL).
How should I store VERDESO Foam?
- Store the can of VERDESO Foam at room temperature, 68° to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
- Do not place the can of VERDESO Foam in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Do not expose containers to heat, and/or store at temperatures above 120°F (49°C).
- Do not break through (puncture) the can of VERDESO Foam.
- VERDESO Foam is flammable. AVOID FIRE, FLAME, OR SMOKING DURING AND IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING APPLICATION.
- Keep VERDESO Foam and all medicines out of the reach of children.
General information about VERDESO Foam
Do not use VERDESO Foam for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give VERDESO Foam to other people, even if they have the same symptoms that you have. It may harm them.
This leaflet summarizes the most important information about VERDESO Foam. If you would like more information, talk with your doctor. You can ask your doctor or pharmacist for information about VERDESO Foam that is written for health professionals.
What are the ingredients in VERDESO Foam?
Active ingredient: desonide
Inactive Ingredients: anhydrous citric acid, cetyl alcohol, cyclomethicone, isopropyl myristate, light mineral oil, white petrolatum, polyoxyl 20 cetostearyl ether, potassium citrate (monohydrate), propylene glycol, purified water, sorbitan monolaurate, and phenoxyethanol as a preservative. The can is pressurized with a hydrocarbon (propane/butane) propellant.
This Patient Information has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Last reviewed on RxList: 4/18/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Verdeso Information
Verdeso - User Reviews
Verdeso User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.