"Jan. 25, 2013 -- The FDA has approved Oxytrol for Women, the first over-the-counter treatment for overactive bladder in women 18 and older.
The condition affects more than 20 million American women, according to Merck, the drug's manu"...
VESIcare Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: VESIcare
Generic Name: solifenacin (Pronunciation: sol ee FEN a sin)
- What is solifenacin (VESIcare)?
- What are the possible side effects of solifenacin (VESIcare)?
- What is the most important information I should know about solifenacin (VESIcare)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking solifenacin (VESIcare)?
- How should I take solifenacin (VESIcare)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (VESIcare)?
- What happens if I overdose (VESIcare)?
- What should I avoid while taking solifenacin (VESIcare)?
- What other drugs will affect solifenacin (VESIcare)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is solifenacin (VESIcare)?
Solifenacin reduces muscle spasms of the bladder and urinary tract.
Solifenacin is used to treat symptoms of overactive bladder, such as frequent or urgent urination, and incontinence (urine leakage).
Solifenacin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of solifenacin (VESIcare)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using solifenacin and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- hot, dry skin and extreme thirst;
- severe stomach pain, or constipation for 3 days or longer;
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- vision changes, eye pain, or seeing halos around lights;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- confusion, hallucinations;
- high potassium (slow heart rate, weak pulse, muscle weakness, tingly feeling); or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness, drowsiness, feeling tired;
- dry mouth, hoarse voice;
- dry eyes, blurred vision;
- nausea, loss of appetite, upset stomach, heartburn;
- mild constipation; or
- fever, sore throat, body aches, or other flu symptoms.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the VESIcare (solifenacin succinate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about solifenacin (VESIcare)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to solifenacin, or if you have untreated or uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma, a blockage in your digestive tract (stomach or intestines), or if you are unable to urinate.
Before using solifenacin, tell your doctor if you have glaucoma, liver disease, kidney disease, a blockage in your stomach or intestines, or a history of Long QT syndrome.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather. Solifenacin can decrease perspiration and you may be more prone to heat stroke.
This medication may cause blurred vision and may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert and able to see clearly.
There are many other medicines that can interact with solifenacin. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list of all your medicines and show it to any healthcare provider who treats you.
Stop using this medication and call your doctor if you have serious side effects such as hot and dry skin, extreme thirst, severe stomach pain or constipation, pain or burning when you urinate, or if you stop urinating.
Additional VESIcare Information
- VESIcare Drug Interactions Center: solifenacin oral
- VESIcare Side Effects Center
- VESIcare Overview including Precautions
- VESIcare FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
VESIcare - User Reviews
VESIcare User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.