"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Sivextro (tedizolid phosphate), a new antibacterial drug, to treat adults with skin infections.
Sivextro is approved to treat patients with acute bacterial skin and skin structure infecti"...
Vibativ Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Vibativ
Generic Name: telavancin (Pronunciation: TEL a VAN sin)
- What is telavancin (Vibativ)?
- What are the possible side effects of telavancin (Vibativ)?
- What is the most important information I should know about telavancin (Vibativ)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before using telavancin (Vibativ)?
- How is telavancin given (Vibativ)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Vibativ)?
- What happens if I overdose (Vibativ)?
- What should I avoid while using telavancin (Vibativ)?
- What other drugs will affect telavancin (Vibativ)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is telavancin (Vibativ)?
Telavancin is an antibiotic that treats infection caused by bacteria.
Telavancin is used to treat severe skin infections.
Telavancin may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of telavancin (Vibativ)?
Some people receiving a telavancin injection have had a reaction to the infusion (when the medicine is injected into the vein). Tell your doctor right away if you feel itchy or tingly, or have a red rash on your upper body during the injection.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- drowsiness, confusion, mood changes, increased thirst, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting;
- swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath; or
- urinating less than usual or not at all.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, loss of appetite;
- chills or shivering;
- headache, dizziness;
- foamy appearance in your urine;
- unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth;
- vaginal itching or discharge;
- mild skin rash or itching; or
- redness or pain around the IV needle.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Vibativ (telavancin for injection) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about telavancin (Vibativ)?
Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you are pregnant. You may need a pregnancy test to determine whether you are pregnant before you start using telavancin.
If you are not pregnant before you start using telavancin, use effective birth control to prevent pregnancy during treatment. Any woman who could possibly become pregnant should use birth control during treatment with telavancin.
If you are a woman using telavancin, you are considered able to become pregnant unless you have ovarian failure, have had a tubal ligation or hysterectomy, or have been in menopause or not had a menstrual period in 2 years.
Telavancin can be harmful to the kidneys, and this effect is increased when telavancin is used together with other medicines that can harm the kidneys. Before using telavancin, tell your doctor if you are receiving chemotherapy, or using medicines to treat a bowel disorder, medication to prevent organ transplant rejection, antiviral medications, pain or arthritis medicines, a diuretic (water pill), or any other injected antibiotics.
If you have kidney disease, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use telavancin.
Use this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Telavancin will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Call your doctor right away if you have a serious side effect such as watery or bloody diarrhea, confusion, thirst, swelling, feeling short of breath, or urinating less than usual or not at all
Additional Vibativ Information
- Vibativ Drug Interactions Center: telavancin iv
- Vibativ Side Effects Center
- Vibativ Overview including Precautions
- Vibativ FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.