"Nov. 2, 2012 -- Safety steps taken in the wake of the fungal meningitis outbreak have worsened drug shortages, raising questions about whether the U.S. must choose between the safety and the availability of crucial medicines.
Vicoprofen Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Ibudone, Reprexain, Vicoprofen
Generic Name: hydrocodone and ibuprofen (Pronunciation: hye dro KOE done and eye byoo PRO fen)
- What is hydrocodone and ibuprofen (Vicoprofen)?
- What are the possible side effects of hydrocodone and ibuprofen (Vicoprofen)?
- What is the most important information I should know about hydrocodone and ibuprofen (Vicoprofen)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking hydrocodone and ibuprofen (Vicoprofen)?
- How should I take hydrocodone and ibuprofen (Vicoprofen)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Vicoprofen)?
- What happens if I overdose (Vicoprofen)?
- What should I avoid while taking hydrocodone and ibuprofen (Vicoprofen)?
- What other drugs will affect hydrocodone and ibuprofen (Vicoprofen)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is hydrocodone and ibuprofen (Vicoprofen)?
Hydrocodone is an opioid pain medication. An opioid is sometimes called a narcotic.
Ibuprofen is a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug (NSAID). This medicine works by reducing substances in the body that cause pain, fever, and inflammation.
The combination of hydrocodone and ibuprofen is used short-term to relieve severe pain. This medication is not for treating arthritis pain.
Hydrocodone and ibuprofen may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Hydrocodone-Ibuprofen 7.5 mg-200 mg-AMN
round, white, imprinted with IP 145
Hydrocodone-Ibuprofen 7.5 mg-200 mg-TEV
round, white, imprinted with 5161
Hydrocodone-Ibuprofen 7.5-200 mg-WAT
round, white, imprinted with IP 145
Reprexain 5 mg-200 mg
oval, white, imprinted with IP 146
round, white, imprinted with VP LOGO
What are the possible side effects of hydrocodone and ibuprofen (Vicoprofen)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using hydrocodone and ibuprofen and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- sudden numbness or weakness, sudden severe headache, confusion, problems with vision or speech;
- chest pain, sudden cough, wheezing, rapid breathing, coughing up blood;
- pain, swelling, warmth, or redness in one or both legs;
- bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- swelling or rapid weight gain;
- shallow breathing, slow heartbeat;
- easy bruising or bleeding, feeling like you might pass out;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- fever, chills, headache, neck stiffness, increased sensitivity to light, purple spots on the skin, and/or seizure (convulsions); or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness, drowsiness;
- mild nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, constipation, diarrhea;
- blurred vision; or
- dry mouth.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Vicoprofen (hydrocodone and ibuprofen) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about hydrocodone and ibuprofen (Vicoprofen)?
This medicine may cause life-threatening heart or circulation problems such as heart attack or stroke, especially if you use it long term. Do not use hydrocodone and ibuprofen just before or after heart bypass surgery (coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).
Get emergency medical help if you have chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.
This medicine may also cause serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and can occur without warning while you are taking hydrocodone and ibuprofen, especially in older adults.
Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of stomach bleeding such as black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before using any cold, allergy, or pain medication. Many medicines available over the counter contain aspirin or other medicines similar to hydrocodone and ibuprofen (such as ibuprofen, ketoprofen, or naproxen). Taking certain products together can cause you to get too much of this type of medication. Check the label to see if a medicine contains naproxen, aspirin, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, or naproxen.
Hydrocodone may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person for whom it was prescribed. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It may increase your risk of stomach bleeding while taking ibuprofen.
Additional Vicoprofen Information
Vicoprofen - User Reviews
Vicoprofen User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.