"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Tanzeum (albiglutide) subcutaneous injection to improve glycemic control, along with diet and exercise, in adults with type 2 diabetes.
Type 2 diabetes affects approximately 24 million pe"...
Victoza Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Victoza
Generic Name: liraglutide (Pronunciation: LIR a GLOO tde)
- What is liraglutide (Victoza)?
- What are the possible side effects of liraglutide (Victoza)?
- What is the most important information I should know about liraglutide (Victoza)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before using liraglutide (Victoza)?
- How should I use liraglutide (Victoza)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Victoza)?
- What happens if I overdose (Victoza)?
- What should I avoid while using liraglutide (Victoza)?
- What other drugs will affect liraglutide (Victoza)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is liraglutide (Victoza)?
Liraglutide is a diabetes medicine that helps control blood sugar levels.
Liraglutide is used to treat type 2 diabetes (non-insulin dependent).
This medication is not for treating type 1 diabetes.
Liraglutide may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of liraglutide (Victoza)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- swelling or a lump in your throat area;
- hoarse voice, trouble swallowing, feeling short of breath;
- pancreatitis - severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, fast heart rate; or
- signs of infection such as fever, chills, sore throat, flu symptoms, easy bruising or bleeding (nosebleeds, bleeding gums), mouth sores, unusual weakness.
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness;
- upset stomach, loss of appetite;
- nausea, vomiting;
- diarrhea, constipation;
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sinus pain, sore throat;
- back pain;
- tired feeling;
- mild skin rash; or
- redness or rash where the medicine was injected.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Victoza (liraglutide [rdna] injection) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about liraglutide (Victoza)?
You should not use liraglutide if you are allergic to it, or if you have multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (tumors in your glands), a personal or family history of medullary thyroid cancer, insulin-dependent diabetes, or if you are in a state of diabetic ketoacidosis (call your doctor for treatment with insulin)
Before using liraglutide, tell your doctor if you have stomach problems causing slow digestion, kidney or liver disease, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, or if you have ever had pancreatitis, gallstones, or alcoholism.
You should not breast-feed while using liraglutide.
Never share an injection pen with another person. Sharing injection pens can allow disease such as hepatitis or HIV to pass from one person to another.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as swelling or a lump in your throat area, hoarse voice, trouble swallowing, feeling short of breath, severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, or signs of infection such as fever, chills, sore throat, flu symptoms, mouth sores, or easy bruising or bleeding.
Liraglutide is only part of a complete program of treatment that may also include diet, exercise, weight control, foot care, eye care, dental care, and testing your blood sugar.
Additional Victoza Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.