"Nov. 27, 2012 -- Every month, 1,000 more young Americans ages 13 to 24 get an incurable infection that's deadly unless held at bay by daily doses of costly drugs -- and many of them don't even know it.
That infection is HIV, the virus"...
Viramune XR Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Viramune, Viramune XR
Generic Name: nevirapine (Pronunciation: ne VYE ra peen)
- What is nevirapine (Viramune XR)?
- What are the possible side effects of nevirapine (Viramune XR)?
- What is the most important information I should know about nevirapine (Viramune XR)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking nevirapine (Viramune XR)?
- How should I take nevirapine (Viramune XR)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Viramune XR)?
- What happens if I overdose (Viramune XR)?
- What should I avoid while taking nevirapine (Viramune XR)?
- What other drugs will affect nevirapine (Viramune XR)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is nevirapine (Viramune XR)?
Nevirapine is an antiviral medication that prevents human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) cells from multiplying in your body.
Nevirapine is used to treat HIV, which causes the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Nevirapine will not prevent or cure HIV or AIDS.
Nevirapine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Viramune 200 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with 54 193
What are the possible side effects of nevirapine (Viramune XR)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: tired feeling, joint or muscle pain, muscle weakness, skin rash, bruising, severe tingling, numbness, mouth sores, trouble breathing, or swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking nevirapine and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- nausea, pain in your upper stomach, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- any other signs of new infection; or
- the first sign of any skin rash, no matter how mild.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain;
- muscle pain;
- headache, tired feeling; or
- changes in the shape or location of body fat (especially in your arms, legs, face, neck, breasts, and waist).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Viramune XR (nevirapine extended-release tablets, for oral use) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about nevirapine (Viramune XR)?
Nevirapine can cause severe or life-threatening effects on the liver. Call your doctor at once if you have any of these liver symptoms while taking nevirapine: skin rash, nausea, stomach pain, loss of appetite, low fever, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Nevirapine may also cause severe or life-threatening skin reactions. Contact your doctor at once if you have fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling. This type of reaction is a medical emergency.
There are many other medicines that can interact with nevirapine, or make it less effective. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list of all your medicines and show it to any healthcare provider who treats you.
Use all medications as directed by your doctor. Do not change your doses or medication schedule without your doctor's advice.
Taking this medication will not prevent you from passing HIV to other people.
Additional Viramune XR Information
- Viramune XR Drug Interactions Center: nevirapine oral
- Viramune XR Side Effects Center
- Viramune XR FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.