"What are allergies?
Allergies occur when the body's immune system responds to a substance it considers an "invader." Substances that provoke the immune system into an allergic response are known as allergens. There is no such thing as a"...
Vistaril Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is hydroxyzine (Vistaril)?
- What are the possible side effects of hydroxyzine (Vistaril)?
- What is the most important information I should know about hydroxyzine (Vistaril)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking hydroxyzine (Vistaril)?
- How should I take hydroxyzine (Vistaril)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Vistaril)?
- What happens if I overdose (Vistaril)?
- What should I avoid while taking hydroxyzine (Vistaril)?
- What other drugs will affect hydroxyzine (Vistaril)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking hydroxyzine (Vistaril)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to hydroxyzine, or if you are pregnant.
To make sure you can safely take hydroxyzine, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- epilepsy or other seizure disorder;
- asthma, emphysema, or other breathing problem;
- heart disease or high blood pressure;
- stomach ulcer, blockage in your stomach or intestines;
- thyroid disorder;
- enlarged prostate or problems with urination;
- liver disease; or
- kidney disease.
Do not use hydroxyzine without telling your doctor if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby. Use effective birth control, and tell your doctor if you become pregnant during treatment.
It is not known whether hydroxyzine passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Older adults may be more likely to have side effects from this medication.
How should I take hydroxyzine (Vistaril)?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Take this medicine with a full glass of water.
Measure liquid medicine with a special dose-measuring spoon or cup, not a regular table spoon. If you do not have a dose-measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Vistaril Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on therapy and treatment.