In this Article
- Vitiligo facts*
- What is vitiligo, and what causes it?
- Who is affected by vitiligo, and is vitiligo inherited?
- What are the symptoms and signs of vitiligo?
- Will the depigmented patches spread?
- How is vitiligo diagnosed?
- How can people cope with the emotional and psychological aspects of vitiligo?
- What treatment options are available for vitiligo?
- Medical therapies
- Surgical therapies
- Additional therapies
- What research is being done on vitiligo?
- Where can people find more information about vitiligo?
- Find a local Dermatologist in your town
How can people cope with the emotional and psychological aspects of vitiligo?
Although vitiligo is usually not harmful medically and causes no physical pain, its emotional and psychological effects can be devastating. In fact, in India, those with the disease, especially women, are sometimes discriminated against in marriage. Developing vitiligo after marriage can be grounds for divorce.
Regardless of a person's race and culture, white patches of vitiligo can affect emotional and psychological well-being and self-esteem. People with vitiligo can experience emotional stress, particularly if the condition develops on visible areas of the body (such as the face, hands, arms, and feet) or on the genitals. Adolescents, who are often particularly concerned about their appearance, can be devastated by widespread vitiligo. Some people who have vitiligo feel embarrassed, ashamed, depressed, or worried about how others will react.
Fortunately, there are several strategies to help people cope with vitiligo. Also, various
Talking with other people who have vitiligo may also help. The National Vitiligo Foundation can provide information about vitiligo and refer you to local chapters that have support groups of patients, families, and doctors. Contact information for the foundation is listed at the end of this booklet. Family and friends are another source of support.
Some people with vitiligo have found that cosmetics that cover the white patches improve their appearance and help them feel better about themselves. You may need to experiment with several brands of concealing cosmetics before finding the product that works best.
Viewers share their comments
Find out what women really need.