"Dec. 11, 2012 -- The diabetes and obesity epidemics may be fueling a dramatic rise in the number of people with vision problems, a new study suggests.
Rates of vision problems that can't be treated with glasses or contact lenses, know"...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
Warning(s) with Vitravene (fomivirsen) :
- Vitravene (fomivirsen) only works in the eye in which it is injected and does not treat CMV elsewhere in the body. Because CMV may be in other parts of your body and not only in your treated eye, your doctor will monitor you for CMV in the untreated eye or CMV elsewhere in your body (e.g. pneumonitis, colitis).
- Vitravene (fomivirsen) is not recommended if you have been treated within the last 2-4 weeks with cidofivir (VistideÒ ) because of the increased risk of eye inflammation.
General Precautions with Vitravene (fomivirsen) :
- Vitravene (fomivirsen) is for eye(s) only.
- Vitravene (fomivirsen) is not a cure for CMV retinitis. CMV retinitis in some patients may get worse during or following Vitravene (fomivirsen) treatment. You should have regular eye exams by your ophthalmologist.
- Inflammation of the eye (uveitis) occurs in approximately one out of four patients being treated with Vitravene (fomivirsen) . This type of reaction is most common when starting treatment with Vitravene (fomivirsen) . Your doctor may prescribe medication to treat the inflammation and may interrupt Vitravene (fomivirsen) treatment until the inflammation stops.
- Increased pressure in the eye has been reported as another common side effect of Vitravene (fomivirsen) injections. Your doctor should monitor the pressure in your eye(s) during each visit and treat the increase in pressure if necessary.
- If you are receiving Vitravene (fomivirsen) , you should have regular follow-up eye exams.
- HIV-infected patients should continue taking their prescribed antiretroviral medications, unless their doctor tells them otherwise.
What should I tell my doctor or health care provider?
Tell your health care provider if you are trying to become pregnant, are already pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
What are some possible side effects of Vitravene (fomivirsen) ? (This is NOT a complete list of side effects reported with Vitravene (fomivirsen) . Your health care provider can discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)
The most common side effect is eye inflammation. This reaction is most common when starting Vitravene (fomivirsen) and may be treated by your health care provider (See General Precautions).
Other side effects that may relate to the eye(s) are:
- Abnormal vision
- Swelling around the eye
- Blurred vision
- Bleeding in and around the eye
- Decreased visual sharpness, clearness,
- Reduced color vision
- Eye pain
- Objects in the field of vision (floaters)
- Increased eye pressure
- Sensitivity to light
- Retinal detachment
- Swelling of the retina
- Bleeding of the retina
- Color changes of the retina
Additional non-eye related side effects might include:
- Stomach pain
- Low blood count
- Inflammation of the sinuses
- Liver or kidney problems
- Flu-like symptoms
- Chest pain
For more detailed information about Vitravene (fomivirsen) , ask your health care provider.
Last reviewed on RxList: 12/8/2004
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Vitravene Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get breaking medical news.