"A drug candidate developed by researchers at the NIH's National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) and its collaborators to treat sickle cell disease has been acquired by Baxter International's BioScience business. The drug c"...
The use of Voluven® (hydroxyethyl starch in sodium chloride injection) is contraindicated in the following conditions:
- known hypersensitivity to hydroxyethyl starch [see General WARNINGS and PRECAUTIONS]
- fluid overload (hyperhydration) and especially in cases of pulmonary edema and congestive heart failure
- renal failure with oliguria or anuria not related to hypovolemia
- patients receiving dialysis treatment
- severe hypernatremia or severe hyperchloremia
- intracranial bleeding.
3) Lochbühler H, Galli C, Hagemann H. Hydroxyethyl starch HES 130/0.4 in paediatric surgery: results of an explorative, controlled, multicenter safety study. Crit Care 2003; 7 (Suppl 1):, P107
Last reviewed on RxList: 2/1/2008
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Voluven Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.