"Regular blood transfusions prevent recurrent blockage of brain blood vessels, a serious neurological side effect that occurs in one third of children with sickle cell anemia, according to a study funded by the National Institutes of Health. The f"...
The use of Voluven® (hydroxyethyl starch in sodium chloride injection) is contraindicated in the following conditions:
- known hypersensitivity to hydroxyethyl starch [see General WARNINGS and PRECAUTIONS]
- fluid overload (hyperhydration) and especially in cases of pulmonary edema and congestive heart failure
- renal failure with oliguria or anuria not related to hypovolemia
- patients receiving dialysis treatment
- severe hypernatremia or severe hyperchloremia
- intracranial bleeding.
3) Lochbühler H, Galli C, Hagemann H. Hydroxyethyl starch HES 130/0.4 in paediatric surgery: results of an explorative, controlled, multicenter safety study. Crit Care 2003; 7 (Suppl 1):, P107
Last reviewed on RxList: 2/1/2008
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Voluven Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.