Vomiting Blood Symptoms
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
The medical term for vomiting blood (bloody vomit) is hematemesis. Blood in vomit can be due to minor or major health problems. It can be minimal or great in amount. Vomiting blood should be evaluated by a health care professional.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Vomiting Blood
In This ArticleEsophageal Cancer Article
- Esophageal cancer facts*
- What is the esophagus?
- What is cancer?
- What are the types of esophageal cancer?
- What are esophageal cancer causes and risk factors?
- What are esophageal cancer symptoms and signs?
- How is esophageal cancer diagnosed?
- What are the stages of esophageal cancer?
- What is the treatment for esophageal cancer?
- Radiation therapy
- Should people get a second opinion after an esophageal cancer diagnosis?
- What are the side effects of treatment for cancer of the esophagus?
- What follow-up care is necessary during recovery?
- Where can people get support for esophageal cancer?
- How can people with esophageal cancer participate in clinical trials?
- Where can people find more information about esophageal cancer?
In This ArticleEsophagitis Article
- What is esophagitis?
- What causes esophagitis?
- What are the types of esophagitis?
- What are the symptoms of esophagitis?
- How is esophagitis diagnosed?
- How is esophagitis treated?
- What about esophagitis and diet?
- What options are there for pain relief for esophagitis?
- What are the complications of esophagitis?
- Can esophagitis be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for esophagitis?
In This ArticleGastritis Article
- Gastritis facts*
- What is gastritis?
- What causes gastritis?
- What are the symptoms of gastritis?
- What are the complications of gastritis?
- How is gastritis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for gastritis?
In This ArticleMucormycosis Article
- Mucormycosis (zygomycosis) facts
- What is mucormycosis?
- What causes mucormycosis?
- What are risk factors for mucormycosis?
- What are symptoms and signs of mucormycosis?
- How is mucormycosis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment of mucormycosis?
- What are complications of mucormycosis?
- What is the prognosis of mucormycosis?
- Can mucormycosis be prevented?
- What research is being done on mucormycosis?
- Where can people find more information on mucormycosis?
In This ArticleNonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs and Ulcers Article
- What are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)?
- What are the side effects of NSAIDs?
- How do NSAIDs work and how do they cause stomach problems?
- If a stomach ulcer is detected, how is it treated?
- Can NSAID-related ulcers and complications be prevented?
In This ArticlePeptic Ulcer Article
- Peptic ulcer facts
- What is a peptic ulcer?
- What causes of peptic ulcers?
- What are symptoms of peptic ulcers?
- How is a peptic ulcer diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for peptic ulcers?
- What are the complications of peptic ulcers?
- Peptic ulcer summary
In This ArticleStomach Cancer Article
- What is the stomach?
- What is cancer, and how does stomach cancer spread?
- What are risk factors and causes of stomach cancer?
- What are symptoms of stomach cancer?
- How is stomach cancer diagnosed?
- How is staging determined?
- What is the treatment for stomach cancer?
- Radiation therapy
- How do I go about getting a second opinion?
- What are some of the nutritional concerns of stomach cancer patients?
- What are treatment options for cancer that blocks the digestive tract?
- What follow-up care is necessary for stomach cancer patients? What about complementary and alternative medicine?
- What support is there for cancer patients?
- How can I take part in clinical trials for stomach cancer?
- Stomach Cancer At A Glance
In This ArticleYellow Fever Article
- What is yellow fever? What is the history of yellow fever?
- What causes yellow fever?
- How is yellow fever transmitted?
- What areas are high-risk for contracting yellow fever?
- What is the incubation period for yellow fever?
- What are yellow fever symptoms and signs?
- How is yellow fever diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for yellow fever?
- What is the prognosis for people with yellow fever?
- Can yellow fever be prevented?
- Where can people get more information on yellow fever?
- Yellow Fever At A Glance
Other Causes of Vomiting Blood
- Esophageal Varices
- Hereditary Telangiectasia
- Mallory-Weiss Tear
Examples of Medications for Vomiting Blood
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Get the latest treatment options.