"June 9, 2011 -- The FDA today tightened its rules on who should take the highest approved dose of the statin drug simvastatin.
Simvastatin, which lowers LDL "bad" cholesterol, is sold under the brand name Zocor and as a generic drug. "...
Vytorin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Vytorin
Generic Name: ezetimibe and simvastatin (Pronunciation: ez ET i mibe and SIM va stat in)
- What is ezetimibe and simvastatin (Vytorin)?
- What are the possible side effects of ezetimibe and simvastatin (Vytorin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about ezetimibe and simvastatin (Vytorin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ezetimibe and simvastatin (Vytorin)?
- How should I take ezetimibe and simvastatin (Vytorin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Vytorin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Vytorin)?
- What should I avoid while taking ezetimibe and simvastatin (Vytorin)?
- What other drugs will affect ezetimibe and simvastatin (Vytorin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is ezetimibe and simvastatin (Vytorin)?
Ezetimibe reduces the amount of cholesterol absorbed by the body.
Ezetimibe and simvastatin is in a group of drugs called HMG CoA reductase inhibitors, or "statins." Ezetimibe and simvastatin reduces levels of "bad" cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein, or LDL) and triglycerides in the blood, while increasing levels of "good" cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein, or HDL).
The combination of ezetimibe and simvastatin is used to treat high cholesterol in adults and children who are at least 10 years old.
Ezetimibe and simvastatin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Vytorin 10-10 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with 311
Vytorin 10-20 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with 312
Vytorin 10-40 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with 313
Vytorin 10-80 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with 315
What are the possible side effects of ezetimibe and simvastatin (Vytorin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking ezetimibe and simvastatin and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness;
- fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine;
- swelling, weight gain, urinating less than usual or not at all;
- chest pain, dry cough, wheezing, feeling short of breath;
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate; or
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, memory problems, dizziness, depressed mood;
- back pain, joint pain, mild muscle pain;
- numbness or tingly feeling;
- trouble having an erection;
- sleep problems (insomnia); or
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about ezetimibe and simvastatin (Vytorin)?
You should not take ezetimibe and simvastatin if you are allergic to it, if you have liver disease, or if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
In rare cases, simvastatin can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine.
There are many other drugs that should not be used together with ezetimibe and simvastatin. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. Keep a list of all your medicines and show it to any healthcare provider who treats you.
Before taking ezetimibe and simvastatin, tell your doctor if you have ever had liver or kidney disease, diabetes, or a thyroid disorder, if you are of Chinese descent, or if you drink more than 2 alcoholic beverages daily.
Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with simvastatin and lead to potentially dangerous effects. Do not drink more than 1 quart of grapefruit juice daily.
Additional Vytorin Information
Vytorin - User Reviews
Vytorin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Tips to keep it under control.