February 25, 2017
Warts (Common Warts)
- Warts are small, self-limited tumors caused by one of over 100 types of human papillomaviruses (HPV).
- The clinical forms of warts include common warts, flat warts, plantar warts, periungual warts, filiform warts, and genital warts.
- Warts typically disappear on their own with time, but it may take years.
- Warts respond variably to a variety of treatment measures.
- Over-the-counter treatments for warts include salicylic-acid preparations and freezing kits.
- Warts may recur following treatment.
1/7Reviewed on 2/22/2016