July 24, 2016

Water Hemlock

font size

How does Water Hemlock work?

Water hemlock contains ingredients that are poisonous and have many dangerous effects on the body.

Are there safety concerns?

Water hemlock is UNSAFE for anyone to take by mouth or apply to the skin. All plant parts are poisonous and can cause death in as little as 15 minutes. Even applying water hemlock to your skin can cause death. Get immediate medical attention if you have taken water hemlock. The first symptoms of water hemlock poisoning are drooling, nausea, vomiting, wheezing, sweating, dizziness, stomach pain, flushing, weakness/tiredness (lethargy), delirium, and uncontrollable bowel movements. These are followed by more serious symptoms including trouble breathing, convulsions, heart problems, kidney failure, coma, and death.

Special Precautions & Warnings:

It is UNSAFE for anyone to use water hemlock, but some people have extra reasons to avoid use.

Children: Use of water hemlock is UNSAFE and can be fatal, especially in children. Children can be poisoned by even small amounts of water hemlock. Some children have died after just using hollow water hemlock stems as peashooters, flutes, or whistles; or rubbing the plant on their skin.

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Use of water hemlock is UNSAFE and can be fatal for both the mother and her unborn child.


Therapeutic Research Faculty copyright

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.


Women's Health

Find out what women really need.

advertisement
advertisement
Use Pill Finder Find it Now See Interactions

Pill Identifier on RxList

  • quick, easy,
    pill identification

Find a Local Pharmacy

  • including 24 hour, pharmacies

Interaction Checker

  • Check potential drug interactions
Search the Medical Dictionary for Health Definitions & Medical Abbreviations