Watery Eye Symptoms
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Tearing is a normal function of the eye. Excessive tearing can be a sign of an underlying health conditions or disease. The tears of the of eye come from the tear gland, called the lacrimal gland, which is located above the outer eye. Tears are composed of water, oil, and antibodies. The moisture from tears on the front of the eye, the cornea, is important to avoid damage of the cornea. The tears drain from the eye through the tear ducts (lacrimal ducts). If the tear ducts become blocked, tears can well up in the eye and fall excessively.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Watery Eye
In This ArticleAllergy Article
- Allergy facts
- What does an allergy mean?
- What causes allergies?
- Who is at risk and why?
- What are common allergic conditions, and what are allergy symptoms and signs?
- Hay Fever
- Allergic Eyes
- Allergic Eczema
- Allergic Shock
- Where are allergens? Everywhere
- In the air we breathe
- In what we ingest
- Touching our skin
- Injected into our body
In This ArticleBlepharitis Article
- What is blepharitis?
- What causes blepharitis?
- What are the symptoms and signs of blepharitis?
- How is blepharitis diagnosed?
- What are complications of blepharitis?
- What is the treatment for blepharitis?
- What is the prognosis for blepharitis?
- Blepharitis At A Glance
In This ArticleCommon Cold Article
- What is the common cold, and what causes it?
- How is the common cold transmitted?
- What are the symptoms and signs of the common cold in adults, children, and infants?
- Does it have anything to do with exposure to cold weather?
- What is the difference between the common cold and influenza (the flu)?
- How is the common cold diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for the common cold? Are there any home remedies for the common cold?
- Are antibiotics a suitable treatment for the common cold?
- When should a physician or other health-care practitioner be consulted?
- How do you prevent the common cold?
- Common Cold At A Glance
In This ArticleDry Eyes Article
- Dry eye syndrome facts
- What is dry eye syndrome?
- What causes dry eye syndrome?
- What is the impact of dry eye syndrome?
- What are dry eye syndrome symptoms and signs?
- What are the complications of dry eye syndrome?
- What are the risk factors for dry eye syndrome?
- What is the treatment for dry eye syndrome?
- Can self-care treatments and remedies help alleviate dry eyes?
- What is the medical treatment for dry eye syndrome?
- What medications are used to treat dry eye syndrome?
- Can surgery treat dry eye syndrome?
- What other therapies are used to treat dry eye syndrome?
In This ArticleEye Allergy Article
- Eye allergy facts
- Eye allergy introduction
- What causes eye allergies?
- What is the basic anatomy of the outer eye?
- Why are the eyes an easy target for allergies?
- What are symptoms and signs of eye allergies?
- What are allergic eye conditions?
- What are eyelid allergies (also called contact eye allergies)?
- What conditions can be confused with eye allergies?
- What is the treatment for eye allergies?
- What is the prognosis of eye allergies?
- Can eye allergies be prevented?
In This ArticlePink Eye Article
- Pink eye facts
- What is "pink eye"?
- What infections cause pink eye, what are infectious pink eye symptoms, and how are they treated?
- What noninfectious conditions cause pink eye, what are noninfectious pink eye symptoms, and how are they treated?
- What are home treatments and care for pink eye?
- How can I prevent the spread of pink eye?
In This ArticleTrachoma Article
- What is trachoma? Is trachoma contagious?
- How does trachoma manifest itself?
- What is the cause of trachoma?
- What are trachoma symptoms and signs?
- How is trachoma diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for trachoma?
- How long does trachoma last?
- Can trachoma be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for trachoma?
- What are complications of trachoma?
- What research is being done on trachoma?
- Trachoma At A Glance
Other Causes of Watery Eye
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Get breaking medical news.