Weight Control and Smoking Cessation (cont.)
In this Article
- Weight control and smoking cessation introduction
- Will I gain weight if I stop smoking?
- What causes weight gain after quitting?
- Can I avoid weight gain?
- Accept yourself
- Get regular, moderate-intensity physical activity
- Limit snacking and alcohol
- Consider using medication to help you quit
- Consider getting professional advice about weight control
- Will weight gain hurt my health?
- Find a local Family Physician in your town
If you gain a few pounds when you quit, do not dwell on it. Instead, feel proud that you are improving your health. Quitting smoking may make you feel better in many ways.
Quitting smoking may help you have:
- more energy
- whiter teeth
- fresher breath and fresher smelling clothes and hair
- fewer wrinkles and healthier-looking skin
- a clearer voice
Get regular, moderate-intensity physical activity
Regular physical activity may help you avoid large weight gains when you quit smoking. It may also boost your mood and help you feel more energetic. It is likely that you will be able to breathe easier during physical activity after you quit smoking.
Aim to be physically active at a moderate-intensity level (one that makes you breathe harder but does not overwork or overheat you) on most, if not all, days of the week. You can accomplish this by breaking it up into shorter sessions—it does not need to be done all at once. After you quit smoking and are ready to lose weight, you may need to increase the amount of time that you are physically active each day or increase your intensity level to achieve your weight loss goals. The ideas below may help you to be active.
Ideas for Being Active Every Day
- Use your lunch break to walk around and stretch, or take a walk after dinner.
- Sign up for a class such as dance or yoga. Ask a friend to join you.
- Get off the bus one stop early if you are in an area safe for walking.
- Park the car further away from entrances to stores, movie theaters, or your home.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Make sure the stairs are well lit.
Viewers share their comments
Get tips, treatments, & motivation.