Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Wheezing is a whistling sound that occurs during breathing, usually during expiration (breathing air out of the lungs) through narrowed airways. Inflammation of the airways, bronchospasm (tightening of the muscles around the bronchial tubes), and hypersensitivity (reactivity to triggers such as allergens, irritants, or infections) all play a role in the development of wheezing. Any conditions or diseases that can constrict the airways can lead to wheezing. Wheezing can be accompanied by other symptoms such as coughing and shortness of breath. Wheezing may also occur in anaphylaxis, a severe and potentially life-threatening allergic reaction.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Schiffman, George. "Asthma Medications." eMedicineHealth.com. Jan. 8, 2010; <http://www.emedicinehealth.com/understanding_asthma_medications/article_em.htm>.
Causes of Wheezing
In This ArticleAllergy Article
- Allergy facts
- What does an allergy mean?
- What causes allergies?
- Who is at risk and why?
- What are common allergic conditions, and what are allergy symptoms and signs?
- Hay Fever
- Allergic Eyes
- Allergic Eczema
- Allergic Shock
- Where are allergens? Everywhere
- In the air we breathe
- In what we ingest
- Touching our skin
- Injected into our body
In This ArticleAlpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency Article
- What is alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency?
- What are the signs and symptoms of lung disease caused by alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency?
- How common is alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency?
- What genes are related to alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency?
- How do people inherit alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency?
- Where can I find information about treatment for alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency?
- What other names do people use for alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency?
In This ArticleAnaphylaxis Article
- Anaphylaxis facts
- Introduction to anaphylaxis
- What is the history of anaphylaxis?
- How common is anaphylaxis?
- What are common causes of anaphylaxis?
- What are the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis?
- What happens after the symptoms begin?
- Are there any disorders that appear similar to anaphylaxis?
- How is anaphylaxis diagnosed?
- How do we manage anaphylaxis?
- What are emergency measures used in the treatment of anaphylaxis?
- Can anaphylaxis be prevented?
In This ArticleAsthma Article
- Myths, facts, and statistics about asthma
- What is asthma?
- From the past to the present
- The scope of the problem
- Normal bronchial tubes
- How does asthma affect breathing?
- The importance of inflammation
- Which triggers cause an asthma attack?
- The many faces of asthma
- Types: allergic (extrinsic) and nonallergic (intrinsic) asthma
- Typical asthma symptoms and signs
- Acute asthma attack
- What medications are used in the treatment of asthma?
- Asthma At A Glance
In This ArticleBronchiectasis Article
- What is bronchiectasis?
- What causes bronchiectasis?
- What are the symptoms of bronchiectasis?
- When should you seek medical care for bronchiectasis?
- How is bronchiectasis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for bronchiectasis?
- What are the complications of bronchiectasis?
- What is the prognosis for bronchiectasis?
- Bronchiectasis At A Glance
In This ArticleChronic Bronchitis Article
- Chronic Bronchitis Facts
- What is bronchitis?
- What is acute bronchitis?
- What are the symptoms of acute bronchitis?
- What is chronic bronchitis?
- What are the causes of chronic bronchitis?
- What are the risk factors for chronic bronchitis?
- What are the symptoms of chronic bronchitis?
- When should an individual seek medical care for chronic bronchitis?
- How is chronic bronchitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for chronic bronchitis?
- What are the complications of chronic bronchitis?
- Can chronic bronchitis be prevented?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for chronic bronchitis?
In This ArticleChronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Article
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease facts
- What is COPD?
- How does the normal lung work?
- What is chronic bronchitis?
- What is emphysema?
- What is chronic asthma?
- What is bronchiectasis?
- What causes COPD?
- What are the symptoms of COPD?
- How is COPD diagnosed?
- What treatment is available for COPD?
- Quitting cigarette smoking
- COPD Medications
- Anti-cholinergic agents
- Breo Ellipta
- Treatment of Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
- What is the role of oxygen as therapy in COPD?
- What else is available for treating COPD?
- Future directions in COPD
In This ArticleEmphysema Article
- Emphysema facts
- Introduction to emphysema
- What is emphysema?
- What are the causes or risk factors for emphysema?
- What are symptoms of emphysema?
- How is emphysema diagnosed?
- Physical examination
- Exams and tests
- What are the stages of emphysema?
- What is the treatment for emphysema?
- Smoking cessation
- Medications for emphysema
- Pulmonary rehabilitation for emphysema
- What is the prognosis and life-expectancy of a person with emphysema?
In This ArticleGastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) Article
- GERD facts
- What is GERD (acid reflux)?
- What causes GERD?
- What are the symptoms of uncomplicated GERD?
- What are the complications of GERD?
- How is GERD diagnosed and evaluated?
- Symptoms and procedures to diagnose GERD
- GERD tests
- How is GERD treated?
- Lifestyle changes and GERD diet
- GERD medications
- GERD surgery
- What is a reasonable approach to the management of GERD?
- What are the unresolved issues in GERD?
In This ArticleHeart Attack Treatment Article
- What is a heart attack?
- How is a heart attack treated?
- Antiplatelet agents
- Glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitors
- Clot-dissolving drugs
- Coronary angiography and percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA)
- Coronary artery stents
- Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors
- Beta blockers
- Coronary artery bypass
- What can a patient expect during recovery from a heart attack?
- How can a second heart attack be prevented?
In This ArticleHeart Failure Article
- What is Heart Failure?
- What Causes Heart Failure?
- What are the Symptoms of Heart Failure?
- What are the Types of Heart Failure?
- How is Heart Failure Diagnosed?
- How is Heart Failure Treated?
- Stages of Heart Failure
- How Can I Prevent Heart Failure From Worsening?
- How Can I Prevent Further Heart Damage?
- What Medications Should I Avoid?
- How Can I Improve My Quality of Life?
- What Surgical Procedures are Used to Treat Heart Failure?
- Treatment is a Team Effort
- What is the Outlook for People with Heart Failure?
In This ArticleLung Cancer Article
- Lung cancer facts
- What is lung cancer?
- How common is lung cancer?
- What causes lung cancer?
- What are the types of lung cancer?
- What are lung cancer symptoms and signs?
- How is lung cancer diagnosed?
- What is staging of lung cancer?
- What is the treatment for lung cancer?
- What is the prognosis (outcome) of lung cancer?
- How can lung cancer be prevented?
In This ArticleMold Article
- Mold facts
- What is mold?
- Where can mold be found in homes?
- What kinds of health problems may be linked to mold? What are symptoms of mold allergy?
- How can mold in the household be prevented?
- Is it necessary to test for mold?
- How should mold be cleaned up and eliminated?
In This ArticleOccupational Asthma Article
- What is occupational asthma?
- What causes occupational asthma?
- What are risk factors for occupational asthma?
- What are symptoms and signs of occupational asthma?
- How is occupational asthma diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for occupational asthma?
- What are complications of occupational asthma?
- Can occupational asthma be prevented?
- Where can a person find more information about occupational asthma?
- Occupational Asthma At A Glance
In This ArticlePneumonia Article
- Pneumonia facts
- What is pneumonia?
- How do people "catch pneumonia"?
- What are pneumonia symptoms and signs in adults and children?
- How is pneumonia diagnosed?
- What are some of the organisms that cause pneumonia? What is the treatment for pneumonia? Can pneumonia be prevented?
- What is the prognosis of pneumonia?
In This ArticleRespiratory Syncytial Virus Article
- Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection facts
- What is the respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)?
- When does RSV infection occur, and who gets it?
- Who is at risk for severe disease?
- Is RSV infection contagious, and how is RSV infection transmitted?
- What are the symptoms of RSV infection?
- How is RSV infection diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for an RSV infection?
- How can RSV infection be prevented?
- Is there an RSV vaccine?
- What is the prognosis of a respiratory syncytial virus infection?
In This ArticleSmoking (How to Quit Smoking) Article
- Smoking and quitting smoking facts
- What problems are caused by smoking?
- What is addictive disease and why is smoking considered addictive?
- What are the signs of cigarette addiction?
- Why should someone quit smoking?
- What are the steps in quitting?
- Getting ready to quit smoking
- On the day you quit smoking
- Staying quit
- What methods can help a person quit smoking?
- Behavioral modification and self-help literature to quit smoking
- Nicotine replacement therapy to quit smoking
- What prescription products are available for smoking cessation?
- How are nicotine-containing products used safely?
- What is in the future for smoking?
Other Causes of Wheezing
- Bacterial Infection
- Foreign Object in Airways
- Virus Infection
Examples of Medications for Wheezing
- albuterol, Ventolin, Proventil, Proventil-HFA, AccuNeb, Vospire, ProAir
- budesonide inhaler, Pulmicort Turbuhaler, Pulmicort Respules
- cromolyn, Nasalcrom (Discontinued), Intal; Opticrom; Gastrocrom
- fluticasone oral disk - inhalation, Flovent Rotadisk
- fluticasone propionate oral inhaler, Flovent (Discontinued), Flovent Diskus, Flovent HFA
- ipratropium - inhalation solution, Atrovent
- ipratropium breath activated inhaler - inhalation, Atrovent
- ipratropium bromide inhaler, Atrovent, Atrovent HFA
- montelukast, Singulair
- omalizumab, Xolair
- terbutaline,Brethine, Bricanyl, and Brethaire are no longer available in the U.S.
- tiotropium capsule - inhalation
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.