"A study in mice reveals an elegant circuit within the developing visual system that helps dictate how the eyes connect to the brain. The research, funded by the National Institutes of Health, has implications for treating amblyopia, a vision diso"...
Xalatan Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is latanoprost ophthalmic (Xalatan)?
- What are the possible side effects of latanoprost ophthalmic (Xalatan)?
- What is the most important information I should know about latanoprost ophthalmic (Xalatan)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before using latanoprost ophthalmic (Xalatan)?
- How should I use latanoprost ophthalmic (Xalatan)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Xalatan)?
- What happens if I overdose (Xalatan)?
- What should I avoid while using latanoprost ophthalmic (Xalatan)?
- What other drugs will affect latanoprost ophthalmic (Xalatan)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my health care provider before using latanoprost ophthalmic (Xalatan)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to latanoprost.
To make sure you can safely use latanoprost ophthalmic, tell your doctor if you have swelling or infection of your eye.
Latanoprost ophthalmic may cause a gradual change in the color of your eyes or eyelids and lashes, as well as increased growth or thickness of your eyelashes. These color changes, usually an increase in brown pigment, occur slowly and you may not notice them for months or years. Color changes may be permanent even after your treatment ends, and may occur only in the eye being treated. This could result in a cosmetic difference in eye or eyelash color from one eye to the other.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether latanoprost ophthalmic will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether latanoprost passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I use latanoprost ophthalmic (Xalatan)?
Do not use this medication while wearing contact lenses. Latanoprost ophthalmic may contain a preservative that can discolor soft contact lenses. Wait at least 15 minutes after using latanoprost ophthalmic before putting your contact lenses in.
Use exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Wash your hands before using the eye drops.
To apply the eye drops:
- Tilt your head back slightly and pull down your lower eyelid to create a small pocket. Hold the dropper above the eye with the tip down. Look up and away from the dropper as you squeeze out a drop, then close your eye.
- Use only the number of drops your doctor has prescribed.
- Gently press your finger to the inside corner of the eye (near your nose) for about 1 minute to keep the liquid from draining into your tear duct.
- If you use more than one drop in the same eye, wait about 5 minutes before putting in the next drop.
- Wait at least 10 minutes before using any other eye drops that your doctor has prescribed.
Do not allow the tip of the dropper to touch any surface, including your eyes or hands. If the dropper becomes contaminated it could cause an infection in your eye, which can lead to vision loss or serious damage to the eye.
Tell your doctor right away if you have any eye injury or infection, or if you need to have any type of surgery, especially eye surgery.
Do not use the eye drops if the liquid changes colors or has particles in it.
Store an unopened bottle of latanoprost eye drops in a refrigerator.
Once you have opened and begun using the drops, you may store them at room temperature, away from moisture, heat, and light. Keep the bottle tightly closed when not in use.
Do not use the eye drops if it has been longer than 6 weeks since you first opened the bottle. If you still need to use the medication, call your doctor for a new prescription.
Additional Xalatan Information
- Xalatan Drug Interactions Center: latanoprost opht
- Xalatan Side Effects Center
- Xalatan Overview including Precautions
- Xalatan FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Xalatan - User Reviews
Xalatan User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get breaking medical news.