Xalkori Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Xalkori
Generic Name: crizotinib (Pronunciation: kriz OH ti nib)
- What is crizotinib (Xalkori)?
- What are the possible side effects of crizotinib (Xalkori)?
- What is the most important information I should know about crizotinib (Xalkori)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking crizotinib (Xalkori)?
- How should I take crizotinib (Xalkori)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Xalkori)?
- What happens if I overdose (Xalkori)?
- What should I avoid while taking crizotinib (Xalkori)?
- What other drugs will affect crizotinib (Xalkori)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is crizotinib (Xalkori)?
Crizotinib is a cancer medication that interferes with the growth and spread of cancer cells in the body.
Crizotinib is used to treat non-small cell lung cancer.
Crizotinib may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of crizotinib (Xalkori)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using crizotinib and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe dizziness, fainting, fast or pounding heartbeats;
- vision problems such as blurred vision, increased sensitivity of your eyes to light, or seeing flashes of light or "floaters";
- chest pain, dry cough or cough with mucus, wheezing, feeling short of breath;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat; or
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild dizziness;
- tired feeling;
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, loss of appetite;
- diarrhea, constipation;
- mild rash or itching;
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat;
- numbness or tingling; or
- swelling in your hands or feet.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Xalkori (crizotinib) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects »
What is the most important information I should know about crizotinib (Xalkori)?
Before you take crizotinib, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease, a heart rhythm disorder, an electrolyte imbalance (such as low levels of potassium or magnesium in your blood), or a personal or family history of Long QT syndrome.
Do not stop taking this medication without first talking to your doctor.
Additional Xalkori Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.