"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Cologuard, the first stool-based colorectal screening test that detects the presence of red blood cells and DNA mutations that may indicate the presence of certain kinds of abnormal growths tha"...
Xeloda Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Xeloda
Generic Name: capecitabine (Pronunciation: KAP e SYE ta been)
- What is capecitabine (Xeloda)?
- What are the possible side effects of capecitabine (Xeloda)?
- What is the most important information I should know about capecitabine (Xeloda)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking capecitabine (Xeloda)?
- How should I take capecitabine (Xeloda)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Xeloda)?
- What happens if I overdose (Xeloda)?
- What should I avoid while taking capecitabine (Xeloda)?
- What other drugs will affect capecitabine (Xeloda)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is capecitabine (Xeloda)?
Capecitabine is a cancer medication that interferes with the growth of cancer cells and slows their spread in the body
Capecitabine is used to treat breast cancer and colon or rectum cancer that has spread to other parts of the body.
Capecitabine is often used in combination with other cancer medications and/or radiation treatments.
Capecitabine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Xeloda 150 mg
oval, pink, imprinted with XELODA, 150
Xeloda 500 mg
oval, pink, imprinted with XELODA, 500
What are the possible side effects of capecitabine (Xeloda)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- nausea, loss of appetite, eating much less than usual, vomiting (more than once in 24 hours);
- severe diarrhea (more than 4 times per day, or during the night);
- bloody, black, or tarry stools;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, easy bruising or bleeding, white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips;
- pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- pain, tenderness, redness, swelling, blistering, or peeling skin on your hands or feet;
- swelling, rapid weight gain; or
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Other common side effects may include:
- stomach pain or upset, constipation;
- tired feeling;
- mild skin rash; or
- numbness or tingling in your hands or feet.
Read the Xeloda (capecitabine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about capecitabine (Xeloda)?
You should not take this medication if you are allergic to capecitabine or fluorouracil (Adrucil), or if you have severe kidney disease or a metabolic disorder called DPD (dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase) deficiency.
Before you take capecitabine, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease, a history of coronary artery disease, or if you are also taking folic acid (contained in many vitamin and mineral supplements), leucovorin (Wellcovorin), phenytoin (Dilantin), or a blood thinner (warfarin, Coumadin).
Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are pregnant or breast-feeding a baby. Use effective birth control while you are taking capecitabine, whether you are a man or a woman. Tell your doctor if a pregnancy occurs during treatment.
Capecitabine can have long lasting effects on your body. You may need frequent medical tests while you are using this medication and for a short time after your treatment ends.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as severe vomiting or diarrhea, fever or flu symptoms, pain or redness of your hands or feet, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes), chest pain, sudden numbness or weakness, or fainting.
Additional Xeloda Information
- Xeloda Drug Interactions Center: capecitabine oral
- Xeloda Side Effects Center
- Xeloda Overview including Precautions
- Xeloda FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Xeloda - User Reviews
Xeloda User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.