"Colorectal cancer is the second leading cancer killer among men and women in the United States, after lung cancer. About 1 in 3 adults is not getting screened for colorectal cancer as recommended by the U.S. Preventive services Task Force (USP"...
Xeloda Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Xeloda
Generic Name: capecitabine (Pronunciation: KAP e SYE ta been)
- What is capecitabine (Xeloda)?
- What are the possible side effects of capecitabine (Xeloda)?
- What is the most important information I should know about capecitabine (Xeloda)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking capecitabine (Xeloda)?
- How should I take capecitabine (Xeloda)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Xeloda)?
- What happens if I overdose (Xeloda)?
- What should I avoid while taking capecitabine (Xeloda)?
- What other drugs will affect capecitabine (Xeloda)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is capecitabine (Xeloda)?
Capecitabine is a cancer medication that interferes with the growth of cancer cells and slows their spread in the body
Capecitabine is used to treat breast cancer and colon or rectum cancer that has spread to other parts of the body.
Capecitabine may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Xeloda 150 mg
oval, pink, imprinted with XELODA, 150
Xeloda 500 mg
oval, pink, imprinted with XELODA, 500
What are the possible side effects of capecitabine (Xeloda)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe diarrhea (more than 4 times per day, or during the night);
- vomiting (more than once in 24 hours);
- nausea, loss of appetite, eating much less than usual;
- weakness, feeling light-headed, hot or dry skin;
- pain, tenderness, redness, swelling, blistering, or peeling skin on your hands or feet;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- swelling, white patches, or sores in your mouth or throat;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling;
- sudden numbness, weakness, headache, confusion, or problems with vision, speech, or balance; or
- slow heart rate, weak pulse, fainting, slow breathing (breathing may stop).
Less serious side effects may include:
- stomach pain or upset, constipation;
- tired feeling;
- temporary hair loss;
- mild skin rash;
- headache, dizziness;
- altered sense of taste;
- back pain, joint or muscle pain;
- eye irritation.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Xeloda (capecitabine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about capecitabine (Xeloda)?
You should not take this medication if you are allergic to capecitabine or fluorouracil (Adrucil), or if you have severe kidney disease or a metabolic disorder called DPD (dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase) deficiency.
Before you take capecitabine, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease, a history of coronary artery disease, or if you are also taking folic acid (contained in many vitamin and mineral supplements), leucovorin (Wellcovorin), phenytoin (Dilantin), or a blood thinner (warfarin, Coumadin).
While taking capecitabine, you will need blood tests at your doctor's office on a regular basis. Do not miss any appointments. You must remain under the care of a doctor while you are taking capecitabine.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as severe vomiting or diarrhea, fever or flu symptoms, pain or redness of your hands or feet, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes), chest pain, sudden numbness or weakness, or fainting.
Additional Xeloda Information
- Xeloda Drug Interactions Center: capecitabine oral
- Xeloda Side Effects Center
- Xeloda Overview including Precautions
- Xeloda FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Xeloda - User Reviews
Xeloda User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.