"Fewer Americans are dying from cancer.
This is one main take-away from the latest report on cancer death rates and new diagnoses of cancer in the U.S. This decline is seen among men and women across all major racial and ethnic groups,"...
- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
Advise patients to contact a healthcare professional for any of the following:
- Symptoms of a hypersensitivity reaction, including rash, urticaria, pruritis, lip swelling, shortness of breath, hypotension and respiratory tract edema. [see CONTRAINDICATIONS, WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS, and ADVERSE REACTIONS]
- Symptoms of hypocalcemia, including paresthesias or muscle stiffness, twitching, spasms, or cramps [see CONTRAINDICATIONS, WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS, and ADVERSE REACTIONS]
- Symptoms of ONJ, including pain, numbness, swelling of or drainage from the jaw, mouth, or teeth [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS and ADVERSE REACTIONS]
- Persistent pain or slow healing of the mouth or jaw after dental surgery [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Symptoms of atypical femoral fracture, including new or unusual thigh, hip, or groin pain [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Pregnancy or nursing [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS and Use In Specific Populations]
Advise patients of the need for:
- Avoiding therapy with Xgeva if a serious allergic reaction occurred with prior Xgeva or Prolia therapy [see CONTRAINDICATIONS, WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Proper oral hygiene and routine dental care
- Informing their dentist that they are receiving Xgeva
- Avoiding invasive dental procedures during treatment with Xgeva
- The use of highly effective contraception during and for at least 5 months after treatment with Xgeva for females of reproductive potential.
Advise patients that denosumab is also marketed as Prolia® . Patients should inform their healthcare provider if they are taking Prolia.
Last reviewed on RxList: 9/9/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Xgeva Information
Xgeva - User Reviews
Xgeva User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.