"Jan. 17, 2013 -- Cancer death rates have fallen by 20% from their peak about 20 years ago,┬according to the latest statistics from the American Cancer Society.
This means that from 1991 to 2009, 1.2 million lives were spared, includin"...
- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
Advise patients to contact a healthcare professional for any of the following:
- Symptoms of a hypersensitivity reaction, including rash, urticaria, pruritis, lip swelling, shortness of breath, hypotension and respiratory tract edema. [see CONTRAINDICATIONS, WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS, and ADVERSE REACTIONS]
- Symptoms of hypocalcemia, including paresthesias or muscle stiffness, twitching, spasms, or cramps [see CONTRAINDICATIONS, WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS, and ADVERSE REACTIONS]
- Symptoms of ONJ, including pain, numbness, swelling of or drainage from the jaw, mouth, or teeth [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS and ADVERSE REACTIONS]
- Persistent pain or slow healing of the mouth or jaw after dental surgery [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Symptoms of atypical femoral fracture, including new or unusual thigh, hip, or groin pain [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Pregnancy or nursing [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS and Use In Specific Populations]
Advise patients of the need for:
- Avoiding therapy with Xgeva if a serious allergic reaction occurred with prior Xgeva or Prolia therapy [see CONTRAINDICATIONS, WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Proper oral hygiene and routine dental care
- Informing their dentist that they are receiving Xgeva
- Avoiding invasive dental procedures during treatment with Xgeva
- The use of highly effective contraception during and for at least 5 months after treatment with Xgeva for females of reproductive potential.
Advise patients that denosumab is also marketed as Prolia® . Patients should inform their healthcare provider if they are taking Prolia.
Last reviewed on RxList: 9/9/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Xgeva Information
Xgeva - User Reviews
Xgeva User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.